1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Land Rover diesel hybrid dreams

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Aug 22, 2013.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When I read about the first hybrids from Range Rover, let's just say I was amused. But here is the story from a second source:
    Source: Range Rover Goes Hybrid | TheDetroitBureau.com

The first Land Rover hybrid is a "44.1 MPG" hybrid Range Rover . . . has Jeremy Clarkson gotten a new job, 'how hard can it be?' Did they get a copy of Ford's "How to Pass an EPA test?" I look forward to a test drive to a 4-way stop and pedestrian cross walk.

Bob Wilson

2. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably NEDC numbers. This is then around 38 MPG EPA, still too much?

austingreen likes this.
  3. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    While Clarkson loves diesels, he hates hybrids - which suggest to me that Clarkson will likely have a love-hate relationship with a hybrid diesel Range Rover.

A heavy Li-Ion hybrid does make me think of the 2013 Ford C Max which had to downgrade its EPA rating from 47 to 43 mpg recently ( and reportedly has a real world non-hypermiled combined mpg returns are something closer to 32 to 35 mpg) . 44 mpg does sound a bit high for a hybrid SUV powered by a 3L v6 turbodiesel powerplant- a 3L v6 is going to suck fuel like crazy when it is running unless it uses variable cylinder management or aggressively shuts itself off. Just using diesel isn't going to boost the EPA MPG by more than 10%. Even if the reported Range Rover MPG estimation of 44 mpg is using imperial gallons instead of US gallons (yet another 20% boost in energy volume) getting 44 mpg(UK) for a +1.5 ton SUV will be difficult to get using the USA EPA rating system...

GasperG's suggestion that the report is using the much more lenient European MPG rating system sound plausible.

4. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Much better than my 17 mpg Lexus SUV.

kgall likes this.
  5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Some more information

Range Rover Hybrid And Range Rover Sport Hybrid Revealed

Note this is probably a proper application of a diesel hybrid. The vehicle is heavy and expensive. Fuel economy will not even notice the extra weight of the diesel, and the customers will likely recover the diesel price premium, if they even care.

Yes. I think you are right about NEDC. The calculation appears to be for imperial gallons too according to the press release.
    Land Rover announces Range Rover hybrids - Autoblog
    6.4l/100km is 44.1 miles per imperial gallon on 36.75 mpg. With poor aerodynamics it likely will do much worse on an epa 5 cycle test, but land rover has not announced plans to export to the US.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <GROAN>Now we'll hear more 'USA does not get the great diesels they have in Europe . . . like the Polo.' . . . Or the Tata Nano diesel . . .

I noticed Clarkson was much 'kinder' to the Mercedes SLS E-cell . . . none of this 'pushing around the drained battery' stunts like they did with the Tesla. Perhaps because anyone with a lick of sense will have a data-recorder running in any car loaned to Top Gear. Knowing their stunts are recorded . . . and reported. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

7. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Just pointing it out. The range rover and range rover sport together sold less than 25,000 units in the US last year. A more expensive diesel hybrid if its lucky will get 25% of of those sales, or about 6000/year, but by the time it would be shipped here not only will it be competing with the Porsche Cayenne (with its gasoline hybrid system or diesel) but the tesla X.
    Compare Side-by-Side
    I don't see much of a market if they bring it. If they do, they will. The Euro 6 standards these range rovers are designed for, should make it easy to gain epa approval, but then they also need to go through an epa test, and its doubtful the hybrid SUVs would get more than 28mpg combined. If you need it fast and big and luxurious for that occational 4wd trip, you can likely buy a porsche cayanne diesel and a volt for the price of the range rover sport hybrid diesel. In europe with different tax policies and tests some may actually choose this beast. Those that do will get much better mileage than in the 2013 Range Rovers.

I think the lawsuits may have started to mellow the clarkson clown. His defense in court was he was a clown and everyone should know it. I don't think he wanted to be sued by mercedes and forced to say the same lame defense.

8. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To me, this is the whole point--or most of it. We need to make better mileage available to those who need or want vehicles that today use a lot of fuel.

hlunde likes this.
  9. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    . I agree and all side issues aside, for Rover to be aiming for better mileage and better cleaner emissions is to their credit. Everybody has to start somewhere.........to be overly concerned with acceleration and 1/4 mile times is still off tangent BUT, a beginning.

10. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Exactly. I can't believe people are moaning that the car ONLY gets 44 mpg (or is that 36 mpg US). I is double what a normal Range Rover gets and that would be a good thing.

And yes, many people want a Range Rover type vehicle for many reasons. I'm not a fan of diesels but the best place for one is in an SUV and if that SUV also has a hybrid or plug in system, then even better.

I know one person who'll buy one of these new Range Rovers. To them, this new car would be perfect.

11. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    the amusing part is this for me : 3.0-liter V-6 turbodiesel with a 47-horsepower electric motor
    hahahahahahahahahahahaahahhaha
    they never get it.

12. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It takes time for people to come around, even longer for corporations.As I said, it's a beginning.

Flying White Dutchman likes this.
  13. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    But to them, you don't get it either :)

It's an improvement on mpgs and thus a good thing.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  14. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Toyota has been working on the hybrid concept for over 16 years now.

15. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    do you see any comment on my part dissing the fact that they build a better mpg then normal car....
    no i dont
    i think its better then the non hybrid.
    maybe you did not get my point?

16. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    More than likely :)

17. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    With the two technologies combined, I can imagine the repair bills. At least those who can afford the vehicle to begin with aren't too worried about that part. :D

18. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I was only pointing out that this is very far from an epa 44 mpg. What does the porsche cayenne diesel and hybrid get on that test in imperial mpg?
    There is no accounting for taste. ;) I'm sure with the new aluminum body and diesel hybrid drive-train those 90% of buyers that never leave the pavement won't have to spend as much time at the petrol station.
    :)

19. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Cayenne hybrid gets 34 mpg UK, the diesel 39 mpg and the petrol 26 mpg.

bwilson4web likes this.
  20. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well just in case

with a good hybrid you dont need a large ICE the motors assisted with the smalller ice like with the gen 2 prius
    this is a To large ICE with a to small Motor.