1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Landspeed Prius Races Across Bonneville Salt Flats

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Old news, but new press release...

Landspeed Prius Races Across Bonneville Salt Flats

[img=right:ff45b0a1a3]http://t.wieck.com/PV/2004/12/21/TYT2004122144536_PV.jpg[/IMG]

12/21/2004 Torrance, CA

Toyota's Landspeed Prius gas-electric hybrid vehicle debuted at Bonneville National Speed Week, Aug. 14-17, 2004, in Bonneville, Utah as the first production hybrid to race across the Bonneville Salt Flats. The advanced technology of the popular hybrid mid-size sedan was taken to another level as Car and Driver editor Aaron Robinson drove the modified Prius on the three-mile short course, and set a hybrid record speed of 130.794 miles per hour. Other Landspeed Prius drivers included Prius executive chief engineer Shigeyuki Hori, and Fumiaki Kobayashi, group vice president technical and regulatory affairs, Toyota Motor North America, Inc. The Landspeed Prius' historical run also paved the way for a hybrid class to run at Bonneville.

An engineering group from Toyota and Toyota Motorsports worked on the Prius for over two months to prepare the vehicle for record-setting speed and extreme conditions. Bonneville veteran Jim Leininger, a Toyota field product engineer, served as crew chief, while Dr. Hori kept a watchful eye on the project.

The Landspeed Prius ran a stock "Hybrid Synergy Drive" powertrain, which integrates a large electric motor with a 1.5-liter gasoline engine. The transmission final drive gear ratio for the gas engine was modified from the stock 4.23:1 to 3.2, while the inverter voltage was increased to 550 volts from 500 volts. The engine redline was also changed for optimum performance.
    A transmission cooling system was added to the front passenger area to decrease the temperature of the inverter and electric motors and maximize efficiency. Regular ice was constantly added to the system to prevent overheating. Ambient temperature on the salt flats was nearly 100 degrees with nearly 100 degrees humidity.

Other modifications included the removal of the interior, the addition of a roll cage and lowering the suspension five inches for improved aerodynamics. The Landspeed Prius incorporates custom Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs. The inner fender wells were also altered to accommodate the lowered ride height.

The Landspeed Prius is equipped with unique 26–inch front and 25-inch rear Goodyear Eagle Landspeed Record tires.
    To prepare for Bonneville’s race environment the Landspeed Prius had a removable front tow bar and rear pushbar installed to assist the vehicle to the track.

Toyota will display the Landspeed Prius at the 2005 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

Landspeed Prius Specifications

ENGINE
    · Gasoline Engine 1.5-liter, 4-cylinder, twin-cam, DOHC 16-valve EFI with VVT-i, aluminum-alloy block and head
    · Torque 97 lb.-ft. @ 4,200 rpm
    · Horsepower 96 hp @ 5,800 rpm

ELECTRIC MOTOR/GENERATOR/POWER STORAGE
    · Motor Type Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor
    · Electric Motor Power Output 50kW/1,2000 – 1,540 rpm
    · Torque 295 lb.-ft. @ 1-1,200 rpm
    · Battery type Nickel-metal hydride
    · System voltage 550 volts maximum

SUSPENSION
    · Front Independent MacPherson strut suspension with stabilizer bar, Eibach Racing coil springs, Bilstein shock absorbers
    · Rear Torsion Beam with stabilizer bar, Eibach Racing coil springs, Bilstein shock absorbers
    · Tires 25 and 26-inch Goodyear Eagle Landspeed Record tires

GRAPHICS
    · Molly Designs

PREPARATION
    · Motorsports Technical Center, Inc.

2. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    :clap: awesome!

3. seanwachob

seanwachob New Member

Anybody know what kind of milage the Prius gets at 130mph?

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The EPA says it's around 48 hwy, 55 city.... :wink:

5. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Lowered the suspension 5 inches!?! Warning to ants and other small critters you will not fit under this car! I would really like to know the milage on that run.

7. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    well... currently the prius will get about 8mpg or so when held constant at full speed.. so... 130? still better than any other car :)

8. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Just because....

.[​IMG]

9. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    heh heh, I think by 90 mph many cars start doing better than the prius. My mpg was slipping greatly by 85 mph test (yes I was on an 85 mph road). At high speeds a more powerful engine is more efficient, and a properely geared multi speed transmision is better. A Nissan GTR or Porsche 911 have similar aerodynamic drag to the prius, but should be much safer at these speeds and get better fuel economy.

But come on, if you are planning to go more than 90 mph very often you aren't going to buy a prius. If you are driving in traffic very often, nothing will beat its fuel economy without a plug.

10. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I still like the idea of doing something different...just because. . .

being able to say...I CAN do XXXmph and still have a daily +45mpg commuter all in one vehicle is pretty cool.

11. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure. The car gets a little twitchy on curves at 85 mph. Lowering it a little, small suspension upgrades, different wheels and tires should get it to be comfortable over 100. The lowing and suspension might actually get you better fuel economy, the wheels and tires likely will give you a mpg hit (higher drag and rolling resistance). You could just pop on the bigger wheels and tires when you want to go fast;)

I just was saying at high speed the prius is not optimized for fuel economy or handling.

12. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

True...twitchy if your stock still ;)

*Front 15mm bolt on spacer - Rear 30mm bolt on spacer
    *Lowered quite a bit on GrondControl's coil-over sleeve with oem KYB struts
    *G7 Performance Stiffening Plate
    *eBay Front Strut Tower Brace
    *Tanabe Sustec Front Under brace
    *24mm Progress Rear Sway Bar
    *2006 Matrix 24mm Front Sway bar
    *Poly Bushing
    *Custom Cold Air Intake routing
    *DC header and custom exhaust

My Daily drivers are heavy 19"s - def not for performance, however my track wheels once I decide on a set will either be 16x7 or 17x7 but lighter and wider than OEM 2004-2009 Prius 15" wheel weighing 14.3 lbs or 16" wheel weighing 15.2 lbs. Prob something like: Motegi Traklite, Kosei K4R or OZ Alleggerita HLT.

austingreen likes this.
  13. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Possibly even these SSR Type-C 17X7.5 @ 14.9lbs
    [​IMG]