1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lane Keeping - Auto Steering?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Hytec, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    On a recent crime-drama TV show, the driver of what looked like a Prius, was distracted during a cell-phone conversation and the car drifted across the center line into the opposite lane. The car then self-corrected and returned to the correct lane without the driver appearing to do anything.

Is this an optional feature with the Gen-III Prius, or was this merely some Hollywood Hocus-Pocus? My 2005 Gen-II does not have this option, but it sure would be useful...:p

2. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You must have been watching Bones! Yes, that was a Prius, and that was lane Keep Assist that corrected the steering!

3. Ricklin11

Ricklin11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It sure does and it is way cool. LKA and DRCC are a marvelous combination of technology to make freeway cruising even easier.

Basically you have to keep your hands on the wheel and pay attention, it's like a gentle ghost has taken over steering, throttle, and brakes.

I am loving it.

4. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Actually, it was my wife who was watching Bones, and afterwards she asked if our Prius did that.....my answer was :(

Then again, I'm not sure I want to share the road with people who rely on options like this....:mmph:

But thanks for your replies.

5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

You like too many others have the wrong impression of how the system works unfortunately. I actually have it and the system will not drive for you if you are drunk, stay in a lane while you continue a cell phone conversation, or bring the car back into a lane dead center after drifting into the middle of another lane. It lessens driver fatigue a bit on long trips and assists you in keeping the car in the middle of a lane but you still have to be actually driving the car wit your hands on the wheel making small correction as you do anyways.

Sorry, not coming across as rude, but I take offense when I constantly see people on the boards who think this system allows for careless and reckless driving/driving habits. It just is not true...

6. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the explanation, I should not have made such a generalized statement. I am thankful for conveniences such as cruise control that reduce driver fatigue. Though sadly, there are a significant number of people who do not consider driving a full time responsibility and use these conveniences as a means to allow them to perform other functions while driving.

My cynicism is based on many years commuting 45 miles on (boring) Interstates where I saw people with books and newspapers spread across their steering wheels, or leaning to the side to use the mirror for shaving and applying makeup, or working with a laptop in their laps or on the passenger seat, or the few (thankfully) drivers who forced me onto the left shoulder while holding a cell-phone to their left ear making it inconvenient to look to the left before changing lanes.

I firmly believe these irresponsible actions are made easier with the use of driving conveniences. Thus I assume these same individuals will further separate themselves from their driving responsibility as more advanced options such as LKA and DRCC are introduced, all in the name of "safety".

7. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    x2. If stupid people are gonna drive, then they will screw up anyway...with or without technology. The technology may lessen the damage that they cause others. I don't see it as a way to make people less responsible...they are ALREADY irresponsible! Do these same critics such as Hytec feel the same way about ABS, seatbelts, airbags, etc.??

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I use cruise control to keep me from speeding in the city. Does that count as being lazy or stupid? ;)

Actually I think it's safer that way, as I can then concentrate on the -other- nuts behind the wheels rather than the speedo readout. We have speed cameras everywhere now here in Edmonton.

9. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So is it worth the added cost? I had a tough time deciding between LKA and the Solar Pkg (would have liked both but can't get them on the same car).

10. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think it's smart to use whatever tech tools you can to make your driving safe(r).

There's a road in my town that is 35mph and it's wayyyyy too easy to go 45+ on it because it dips in spots. I've used CC on it. Now I downshift into 2nd gear (or in Prius terms, 'B') to keep my speed under 40 in those areas. The cops patrol this road because it's easy for them to get their ticket quotient met.

11. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Remember, along with LKA, you also get the other tech goodies that come with ATP. So, LKA alone is not worth it, but the other stuff included makes it a bargain IMO! No other Toyota has such a comprehensive safety system, even the Avalon or the Land Cruiser. And with Lexus, to get these systems, you have to spend at least $45,000 and up. Now, the CT200h may change that, but i doubt that i can get a CT200h with ATP for less than what i got for my Prius V ATP.

12. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd be afraid to buy Prius with all these advanced features. I may wake up one morning and find that my Prius went to work without me.

Keith

13. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Man, I would love for my prius be advance enough to drive by itself. Even if it's just on the freeway. Right now it almost is. I've driven 75 miles without touching the brakes or accelerator. All I had to do was lightly hold the steering wheel.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can always hop across the border? Our Technology Package includes DRCC and Solar Roof but you lose LKA and LED headlights...

Like Thai said, the AT package also includes DRCC which I find very convenient (esp. if the person in front doesn't use cruise and they're constantly changing speeds)