1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Language Metamorphosis in Real Time

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by airportkid, Apr 26, 2007.

1. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Language, like living organisms, is always evolving. Right now, a word's very spelling is being transformed: the word "speech" is steadily being changed to "speach". In the last 180 days no fewer than 7 posters to Fred's have independently used "speach", not as a typo, but as the way they spell the word. I Googled "speach" and the very first entry was "Presidential Speaches"; the next 20 entries were about evenly split between uses of the word to mean "speech" and uses of it as someone's last name. Its prevalence is such that it will likely become not only a legitmate, dictionary recognized spelling within a year, but may even become the predominant spelling, relegating "speech" to the bin of the archaic.

Fascinating.

I can't off the top of my head think of any other examples of actual spelling changes that achieved legitimacy, although there must be thousands. Can anyone out there think of any?

New words are of course minted about six dozen a day, "Googled" being a recent example, but they're so common we don't even notice them.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

2. jared2

jared2 New Member

Wow. Speech is now speach? I slammed on the breaks when I read that.

3. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

This one's easy... That, and how people write have seriously degraded over time... Just read any decent work from 2-300 years ago, and, obviously, something has changed... Then again, I'm sure illiteracy was much higher... Which just writing that makes me think, I wonder if there's a correlation to literacy rates and "dilution" of language?

...anyway, back on topic, the whole IM short hand thing is making it even WORSE.

4. jared2

jared2 New Member

I hope I won't be effected by all this bad grammar.

5. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A lie repeated 1,000 times is still a lie, even when the lie is grammatical.

6. jared2

jared2 New Member

"A lie repeated 1,000 times is still a lie, even when the lie is grammatical."

Or, in Bush's case, even when not.

7. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In the near future, all plural nouns will be required to have apostrophes before the final "s".

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 26 2007, 10:55 AM) [snapback]430532[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sure there's a correlation... Back "in the day" your typical farmer and his family couldn't read very well, almost certainly couldn't write. Instead, it was the aristocracy that could read and write, and did so frequently. Learning such abilities made you a "scholar", which was highly regarded, and as in science today perfection was expected.

Fast forward today, and there is no such expectation for the written word. When everyone can read and write you don't have the same system of checks that you did back when only a small handful of "elite" individuals could. The dilution of control over the written word is whats lead to this "degradation" - as the literacy rates go up, the control we have over the language goes down!

9. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Maybe yes, mabe no. I only use my nite light at night. May I inquire what you are enquiring about?

10. jared2

jared2 New Member

I have not recieved this news about grammer well at all. Its a disgrace!

11. timcarlos

timcarlos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Man, don't get me started on this topic. TOO LATE!

* On-camera meteorologists over-use and misuse prepositions. One example, "A cold front is going to move on off the coast." Remove "on" and it's correct.

* Traffic reporters tend to say things like, "The cause of the congestion seems to be further down up on Hwy..." Huh, "down up"?

* "exact same" as in, "It's the exact same thing."

* "but yet" as in, "...but yet he continues to repeat his mistakes." Remove "but" and it would be correct. This mistake is rampant in the U.S.A.

* Flight attendants say, "We'd like to welcome you to..." as if to say that they're thinking about it but decided otherwise. For that matter, most Americans use the passive voice in everything and "would like" to do a lot of things but never actually get around to doing them.

* "might could" is said by the greater majority in Texas, as in, "We might could go to the mall but I'm sure I'd spend too much money."

* "commundity" for "community"

* "calvary" instead of "cavalry" as in, "We were prisoners until the calvary rode in.

* Using the past tense instead of the past participle, as in, "If I'd have thought about it more, I'd have did it sooner."

* "sinner" instead of "center", as in, Centerville which then sounds like "Sinnerville"

* "inner-" instead of "inter-", as in, "interstate"

* cannot has become can not

Now, the question remains, why as Americans are we getting so bad at our grammer and pronunciation?

Any others that anyone would like to add?

Tim

12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think part of it has to do with copyright laws, which prevent companies from registering words in common usage. That's how we end up with abominations like 'lite', and the less-than-scholarly among us end up not knowing how to spell.

13. jared2

jared2 New Member

If I would've known we was gonna get this picky 'bought grammer I would've just axed my teacher.

14. timcarlos

timcarlos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Language metamorphosis in real time. Here is one of the better examples of an educated man who, by way of his bad pronunciation, doesn't sound so educated.

Market Watch

15. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This was proper English 700 years ago. Look how much we've screwed up the language since then. Even the best writing available today would be gibberish to scholars of that era.

16. jared2

jared2 New Member

17. timcarlos

timcarlos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Apr 26 2007, 12:42 PM) [snapback]430635[/snapback]</div>
    Much standardization of the English language has occurred over the last 700 years and thank goodness because even during the period that you cite the spelling variations were vast.

18. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm guilty... :(

It is one of those words I have a problem with. Maybe because of the similarity to preach?

19. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Apr 26 2007, 02:11 PM) [snapback]430653[/snapback]</div>
    Well you know, maybe it should be "speach". After all, "speak" is not spelled "speek". Seeing how "speak" and "speech" are tightly related, and also considering word such as "beach" sound just like "speech" but have the "ea" of "speak", then one can only come to the conclusion that whoever decided that "speech" should be spelled with an "ee" instead of an "ea" was wrong.

20. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Apr 26 2007, 11:25 AM) [snapback]430664[/snapback]</div>
    It sure seems there is some validity to your idea. Maybe that is why a large percentage of people make the spelling error. I feel better about it now. LOL