1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Laptop GPS

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by heimdm, Jul 14, 2006.

1. heimdm

heimdm New Member

I got a 2005 Package 1, hence I have do not have GPS. However, I have a laptop and MS Map Point 2006. I travel a good amount for work and was thinking of adding a GPS considering, all I need is a usb gps for my laptop and a screen. I saw some nice ones from Xenarc. My only question is where to mount a 7 inch screen or so. I don't want to get into taking the dash apart. Any ideas?

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Without taking the dash apart, i don't really see any place you could mount a screen that wouldn't intrude on the passenger space or on your field of view out the window... I believe others have posted about having success in mounting a small pullout type display in the box below the radio, however taht would involve some dash dissasembly, which really isn't as hard/scary as it sounds :-p

3. unruhly

unruhly New Member

4. Stairman

Stairman New Member

You want to get as bright a screen as possible. I tried map software on my laptop for a while; I had to pull over whenever I needed to look at the map. Audible turn by turn directions are essential, even a well lit screen will be hard to read it the sun is at the wrong angle. Garmin has units / software that will run their maps and turn by turn navigation on a PDA. They also have stand alone units with begger, and probably brighter, screens. TomTom is another brand I here good reports of. I use the Garmin software on a bluetooth PDA. It does require a dash mount, but there are a couple companies that make powered dash mounts for just about any PDA.

From the complaints I see on this board, I would never go with built in GPS. There is fierce competition between the companies that make stand alone units and software. The systems are cheaper, the map updates are cheaper, and the software is better. And if the company you're using falls behind, you don't have to buy a new car to get the best replacement available.

5. heimdm

heimdm New Member

I was thinking about this later today after i made my inital post. My idea is to create maybe a wood board that would fit inside that storage container under the radio. But some weight in the box to keep the wood flat. Then put a small piece infront of and in the back of the screen. This would create a grove for the screen sit in. Then maybe something on the sides to prevent the screen from sliding (left and right) out of the groove. A good strip of velco at the top. Does that seem plausable?

6. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(heimdm @ Jul 14 2006, 11:17 PM) [snapback]286552[/snapback]</div>
    Best way to go is the Garmin GPS-18. It's available with great GPS software and gives voice directions so that you really don't have to look at the LCD screen. I have two portable units - 2610, and IQue-3600. The GPS 18 performs as well as either of these dedicated units. I think the GPS-18 with the software is around $130.00. The entire unit is built into the magnetic antenna mount.

7. theorist

theorist Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(heimdm @ Jul 14 2006, 11:17 PM) [snapback]286552[/snapback]</div>
    Presto has installed xenarc folding lcd display in that space, powered by a caseless windows pc under the drivers seat running navigation and entertainment aps. I was very impressed by his photos, though I'd worry about anyone sitting behind the driver's seat.

I used a laptop on a cross country trip with my sister, pulling her horse trailer. The laptop navigation worked great with the person riding shotgun operating it. I can't imagine it substituting for a good Garmin or even a TomTom or Magellan all in one navigator when driving alone.