1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Large discrepancy btwn MFD MPG and calculated

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by acousticbiker, Jan 29, 2006.

1. acousticbiker

acousticbiker New Member

On my 2nd tank (I didn't do this calculation after my 1st tank), my MFD showed 46.4 MPG. By my calculation based on miles and amount of gas filled, I got an average of 52.6 (that's driving here in the Colorado mountains in winter!).

Have others noted this large of a discrepancy?

Is this because of inconsistent tank filling levels?

I replaced the OEM tires with ComforTreds (theoretically shouldn't make a difference in calculations as they are the same size, etc)--could this be a factor?

I guess I should believe the calculation since that actually takes into accont the amount of gas and the number of miles, right?

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    inconsistent fillups and the bladder.

the MFD calculates using the amount of fuel fed to the injectors and miles driven on the tank. i'd trust that first just because you don't know how much gas is left in the tank when you fill up, you don't know how low you ran it down and if you really used all the gas you pumped in, etc. it's hard to get good accuracy when calculating on your own.

plus there's the whole pump calibration issue- some places take it upon themselves to say they're giving you more gas than you're really getting. that's the story behind those weights and measures certification stickers on the gas pumps.

3. MyPria

MyPria New Member

Acousticbiker,

I had the same thing happen to me on my 2nd fillup. The MFD showed 44.5 and the calculated mpg were 51! This is my second Prius. My first 2005 always calculated less than the MFD. I don't know what is going on. I'm running Michelin X-Ice tires and like you live in Colorado and drive up lots of hills.

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

run a spread sheet on your mileage and fuel used and temps and station if you gas in a local area and I include the price and the mfd reading. After a year or so you'll see all the trends, summer to winter, hot to cold, when the wife uses the car or the kids etc. I also put in the oil changes, tire rotations, air filter changes and such. When people harrass me about my mileage they get a hard copy. All have shut up and moved on.

5. sseres

sseres New Member

I've pondered the affect of how the car calculates mpg when you're sitting still but idling.

For example, my wife asked me to get Wendys for lunch today and while I was waiting for my food and wondering what quotient of correct to non-correct order I'd be getting.... ICE had been on for about a minute, then I coasted into the parking lot in EV for about 2 minutes, then sat in the line for a minute or so. My consumption screen said 100mpg for that time, which I know I didn't really get (thinking of the time the ICE had been on).

I have to think that there is some estimating the MPG calculator does, just based on situations like this that I've seen.

6. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    From tank to tank my readings vary wildly from the MFD calculations. But I've kept track of everything for the first 5000 miles and when averaging everything together the MFD said I averaged 46.0mpg and the actual average was 45.2mpg. So, at least on my car, the MFD is pretty close to reality. The bladder in the tank makes individual tank manual calculations pretty much worthless.

7. frankie_delaware

frankie_delaware Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just put in my third tank. I waited until the last bar started flashing (just to see what happens) at 429 miles. My MFD showed 46.5.

I expected the tank would hold around nine gallons, but it clicked off at 7.7 (I wanted more to go in, I resisted topping it off, well, maybe a couple of extra clicks...). I calculated 55.7 based on that amount.

Since 46.5 is my average over the first 1000 miles, I guess it's possible the current tack at 55.7 reflects my improving driving techniques! :) (Or, it's than #%$@ bladder....)

fd

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    yes

yes

doesnt matter the size of the tires. since your elapsed distance is only taken from one source. whether the tires roll 10% less or 10% more, how would the car know this?? the odometer is your only point of reference and im sure that is also how the MFD determines it mpg's

yes you should. you admit to not tracking your first tank. i have had many tanks just as far off as yours. look at my signature. eventually, your overall variance will be about the same

9. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    acousticbiker, Pria, Jeff, sseres and frankie:

Please see a handful of posts by me and galaxee over on a thread entitled "Help! my wife...", mostly as part of a conversation with cgraham, on this topic. I'm sure it'll help. :D

There are some off-topic posts to plow through, but I think you'll find it worthwhile.

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    heck i go through warmup after turning the car on and can get home from the gas station mostly in electric. i know for a fact that i'm averaging over 99 mpg, but that's what the screen says.

when the engine is idling it doesn't require copious amounts of gas.

your calculated now may be high, and your next calculation will probably be low to even it out.

11. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I have the same thing after 3 tanks. I got 7 MPG more on paper than what the computer said. I fill the tank the exact same way each time for consistancy. Last fillup was 59.2 actual vs 52.5 computer. No complaints here.

12. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If you have a 2006 Prius, you need to be aware that the average MPG in the display does not reset when you fill the car. The miles in the display resets ater you drive 100 to 200 yards, but not the MPG. So in addition to the variability of the bladder, your average MPG will be the average from when the reset button was last used. If you have never hit reset, it is the lifetime average MPG.

So if you have a tank that is much better or much worse than your current average, it will only slowly drage the average MPG up or down. Why this change happened on the 2006 is anybody's guess. I have verified this on two 2006's and compared back to a 2005.

- Tom