1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Large External MPG Display

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rminch, Oct 16, 2004.

1. rminch

rminch New Member

'Haven't even gotten my Prius yet, despite waiting forever, but an idea occurred to me that I didn't find discussed here yet:

What if you installed a fairly large display that interfaced with the car's electronics as needed to continuously show your gas mileage to others? For example, it could show "MPG: 55" in 4-inch LED characters and be mounted inside the lower rear window--visible to those behind.

Would this be a good idea--showing others the kind of mileage they could be getting and encouraging them to consider a hybrid? Or a bad idea--distracting others, causing a safety hazard, or causing resentment?

'Just an idea . . .

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's a great idea. I pass traffic all day and get over 40mpg. People driving conservatively don't get half my mpg. If someone were to create it.. i would be willing to test it out.. free.. lol.. or.. for a very very low fee.. i'm broke.. too bad i can't make a profit off selling these cars.

3. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    An excellent idea and a way to model frugal fuel economy and better air quality. Just a three-digit display would be enough (0 to 999) to allow for mpg and kmpL. The display should be small (not cover a major portion of the rear of the vehicle). This idea is no different than speed zones where a visual display is provided to drivers in an effort to help drivers stay within the speed limit.

This will help to reverse the trend of ostentatious consumption where oil is substituted for knowledge and fuel economy be damned. Instead, all drivers would make more of an effort to emulate the numbers they see (better fuel economy).

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    check with local laws. i do believe there are restrictions for dynamic signs on moving vehicles.

im pretty sure there was a court case in WA over that very issue a few years ago with a company that was offering video advertising for your car.

5. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Probably illegal in California too. Next Best is to put a HUGE HYBRRID sign in the back window- see avatar. They get the idea, and when (hopefully) the Feds approve letting us go in the car pool lane and with gas at 2.45 gal this week, more people are tellling me they wish they had bought a Prius...

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have thought about this on several occations. Prefereably, in the lower rear window. I would like to have "Current MPG" and "Lifetime MPG" though "Lifetime" would actually only be 'since last reset'.

I've always thought of something that I can flash messages to other drivers, through a keyboard, similar to instant messaging. I'm sure I would be tempted to say rude things to the people riding my butt, so it's probably best that I don't have something like that.

And I would be tempted to agree with Dave. I remember hearing that the flashing license plate holders with racing lights and the like were banned in certain states because they had a tendancy to distract other drivers. I've found that it's usually very easy to simply call the police station and ask for a clarification of certain laws.

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well i dont know about you, but i would be a bit disturbed if the guy driving next to me was reading the newspaper... i'll be damned if im gonna give him something else to read!!

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"45529)</div>
    In that case, Dave, you certainly don't want to drive my daily commute. I've seen newspapers, magazines, eye liner application, and shaving.

9. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think it is a great idea. It would have to be fairly large and bright for people to be able to read if from a distance. I wonder if people would notice it and understand what it meand. If the sign says MPG 52.5, I wonder if people would understand???

10. prius04

prius04 New Member

I've been thinking of sending away to makestickers.com for a bumper sticker that reads:

IS PATRIOTIC

With a little American flag in the corner.
    It'll be a comment on my car and a comment on the cars the sticker readers are driving. Maybe it'll get some of the dense people out there to think about the consequences of their actions, though I can assure you that I won't hold my breath.

11. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oh well ya, makeup, cell phones, coffee and danish im used to...

its the catnaps that worry me.

12. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius04\";p=\"45611)</div>
    Now that’s a bumper sticker that could end up on my bumper