1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Large puddle of water under car - dripping from PS front bumper area

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by redcheetah, Oct 27, 2014.

1. redcheetah

redcheetah Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2005 Prius. I came home the other day and parked the car in the garage. I came back out the next morning to find a large puddle of water in the garage and the car still dripping. The drip is from the PS front bumper area just ahead of the front PS wheel. This is not the typical AC water puddle; we have two Prius so I am familiar with that one. I searched here and found a few threads on water pump issue but the description did not quite match what I have going on. From the experience of others on the forum, does this sound like a water pump issue or something else? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

On a side note, although I have not posted previously, this forum has been immensely helpful in fixing some of the other issues that have popped up on our Priuses, Prii, or however the plural form of the Prius is described. Great forum!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    if what is dripping looks like water and is clear....it's most likely AC water. If you are leaking coolant....it would (should) be pink.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you had much rain in your non disclosed geographic area?:cool:

4. redcheetah

redcheetah Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    - Thanks - it was just so much more than the usual ac puddle I wasn't sure if this was indicative of something else.

- There has been no rain to speak of in my non disclosed geographic region (SoCal). And yes, I'll update that.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Check your coolant level by taking radiator cap off.
    I do this without taking the black plastic thing off, but my black plastic thing has the screw missing in that area so I can lift it enough to unscrew the cap.
    also check for pink salts on the pulley's, but seems like you don't have the salts.
    I don't know if some one might have filled your system with other than the Toyota special pink fluid.

6. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    If there is any antifreeze in there at all, it should smell sweet and feel slightly slick.
    If it was still dripping the following morning, the odds are slim and none that it is AC condensation.......unless maybe the drain is partly restricted and there was a LOT backed up in there.

7. redcheetah

redcheetah Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is what I was thinking. Traditionally it leaks for a bit after I park it but not into the next morning. This was not sweet or slimy, just water. I will research the drain line issue and see if I can determine whether it is/was restricted.

8. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Check the front carpets to see if they are damp.