1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Large Suitcases

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bmgoodman, Jun 12, 2005.

1. bmgoodman

bmgoodman New Member

My wife is very concerned that I'm going to buy "that egg shaped car". I currently have a Passat and several times a year we have to pick up two or three passengers from the airport. Usually, these people are international travelers with rather large suitcases. The Passat has pretty good trunk space for such large bags, but I'm trying to get a comparison to the Prius. I believe I could easily fit the bags by putting the rear seats down, but that really doesn't give the travelers a place to sit, now does it. Anybody with any relevant experience with large suitcases WITHOUT folding the rear seats?

Thanks.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, in another active thread, Evan removed the false floor. If you need more room or depth, you could fold the floor up or remove it completely. Also, raise the rear headrests (all 3 of them) if you're loading up the rear just as a precaution. We don't want things flying forward when you're braking =).

I haven't tried large suitcases. Only small ones.

3. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Two passengers instad of three would of course allow you to fold one rear seat down only, which should be plenty of room. Three plus large luggage? Buy a minivan!

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  5. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I can carry my two 26" Samsonite hardsided suiters. They only make one size larger than that. The cool part is, they fit in the back just fine and that leaves lots of room up front. I seriously doubt that you can fit these two cases in the trunk of a passat or almost any other car for that matter.

6. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i've picked someone up from the airport. her suitcase seemed to fit in the back perfectly. i could probably have fit 4 of them side by side. if i stacked.. more.

7. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No problem!
    Sometime I take my father to the airport and it manage to fit the 29" suiter and 20" suiter carry on.
    Most difficult task was for me is to fit 4 golf bags last new year.