1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Larger backseats in 2010 prius for better accomodation for 3 carseats?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by 3prius3, Feb 20, 2009.

1. 3prius3

3prius3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am currently in a 2005 Prius and really adore my car. That being said, I've tried to research the 2010 Prius with limited success in terms of whether the backseat itself is a bit more roomier for car seat installation for the eventual 3rd child seat.

I have read that there is more legroom in the newest Prius, and more spacious overall, but I don't know if this includes a slightly larger backseat.

If so, this would greatly solve all my problems and I would just upgrade my Prius to the newest model...instead of looking at other cars/SUV's altogether. I don't even mind picking up a different types of carseats to configure to work it out....but if anyone DID know if the backseat was roomier, that would be good to know!

Thanks

2. scott

scott New Member

I, too, would like to know the answer to this. My guess is still a no. Can you name many midsize cars that really can fit three bulky, safety seats?

I have a patient who, back in the '70s, fit his then family of 8 in a VW beetle. He in the driver's seat, wife and young child in the front passenger, 4 children in the back seat and one behind the rear seat in the space between the rear window and engine compartment!

Who needs car seats?!?!?! LOL

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There will be a little bit more interior width in the 2010. I've managed 3 car seats across the back of mine, though 2 boosters and a car seat fit a lot more comfortably. There are large/bulky models that you'll never fit 3, but there are slimmer versions that will work.

4. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The overall width of the Gen 3 is listed as 68.7 inches. The Gen 2 was 67.9 in. They may be able to pick up a little more than that in seat width, but not more than another inch or two I wouldn't think. Even the Camry didn't seem to have enough width to fit three seats when we test drove it, although we do have fairly massive convertible Britax seats with side impact protection. The seat anchors seem to be set fairly far inboard on the current Prius, so a lot may depend on the exact layout of the new one and what type of seats you end up with. Or you could take Scott's advice and just throw them all in the trunk :)

Rob

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    As tempting as this is to try out, my 2 month old will be staying w/ the folks and her sisters while we do PCLA, so the most I'd be able to try is the base. There isn't enough room for us to attempt bringing the convertable Britax we'll be switching to when baby gets bigger.

6. 3prius3

3prius3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We have two britax marathons... Nothing will squeeze between those bad boys. But I heard that the radian car seat is narrower and can be used three in a row. Most likely I will try that option before I give up on the prius. I am just hoping that an infant car seat base will fit easily with the radian car seats!!

7. hntr467

hntr467 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Buy another Prius and take 2 cars.:eek: You'll still come out ahead on fuel consumption over buying a large SUV or van...lol. Heck, getting three car seats across one seat in luxury sized sedans or in standard SUVs is nearly impossible. I highly doubt three can be "properly installed" in the back seat of any Prius. Getting three in there doesn't mean they'll be "properly installed." So you'll have to try the seats you plan to use, in whatever vehicle you want to buy, to see if they can be "properly installed."

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A used 2006 and a 2010 would be cheaper than an new Excursion too. There is no need to feel lonely, get a pair if UHF CB radios.

9. 3prius3

3prius3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Two prius cars won't work....since I can't drive both of them at one time!

10. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This is where our "need" for a hybrid Sienna would come in, sometimes my wife needs to take more than 4 pax, and with only one driver available, two cars isn't an option unless you want a 13 year old unlicensed driver on the road ;-)

11. GreenWithEnvy

GreenWithEnvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish I would have brought a tape measure to Prius Connection Chicago! My impression was that the 2010 was wider in the back seat, but that might have been because of the additional leg room. I was looking for a different reason, my 3 babies are getting big (8, 11, and 14) and I need to fit them 3-across when we go somewhere as a family.

12. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Tape measure

I'll attempt to remember this for LA next weekend.

Re: Carseats

We went w/ the Britax Roundabout as it was a bit narrower. Fortunately for us, the other two girls are big enough to do w/o.

13. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Did you get pictures of the front wheel strut/suspension the last time? If not, try for that, please.

14. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Can do that too if we can find a way to turn the wheels all the way to one side. I believe some photos were taken on the mock-up that may be suitable.

15. 3prius3

3prius3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you google radian car seat and prius, other people say it's possible for three car seats.... I'm going to find a local radian car seat and see if it's work out!

16. DotComCTO

DotComCTO New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's funny that someone is asking about car seats. I was wondering the same thing, except I only have one child and he's 7 (and almost ready to be out of a booster under NY law). My impression from the NY event is that you could probably get 3 booster seats, but definitely not 3 full-sized car seats. The middle seat in the back isn't a full-width seat. So, I would say you could get 2 full car seats safely in there (buckled in).

That's my best guess based on what I saw while sitting in the back of the car.

Hope that helps...

--DotComCTO

17. 3prius3

3prius3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I might try two radian car seats and one booster in the middle.... It's all speculative!

18. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the most part we found the boosters work better on the outside as otherwise the car seats have a tendency to tilt toward the middle and can cramp that center (larger) kid pretty badly.

19. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    In our case, it's a baby seat in the center with the bigger kids in the outboard seating positions.

The girls are bummed that their cup holders will be blocked by the baby.

20. 3prius3

3prius3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Unfortunately, the two on the outside have to be the car seats... But people tell me that the radian car seat is so small and narrow... The prius might not work out! I wish those 2010 models were out just so I'd know for sure!