1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

larger tire size causing instability

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ivorz, Jun 24, 2010.

1. ivorz

ivorz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Is it true that a going from the OEM tire on the genII prius to larger 195/60/15 can cause or increase instability issues.

I would think the point is to have wider tires to help improve the stability

2. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    OEM on the 2009 Prius Touring is 195/55/16 and it's very stable...as well as a size that's in limited supply.
    I suspect that MPG might suffer a very small amount but that's about all.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Wider tires will tend to try to climb out of wheel tracks in the road more than narrower ones, and many interpret that as instability. It is not.

4. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I ran 195/60/15 Michelin Exalto A/S on my 2005... zero issues. Super sticky tires, lost 2-3 mpg or so because of the thread compound, not sizing.

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Less stable? Not in my experience. The 195 TripleTreds I'm using now are so much better than the 185 Integrities that I'd say the stock tires are borderline dangerous.

6. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Guess it depends on what you mean by "instability". Wider tires can "tramline" more than the OEM size but this is usually only much wider tires. I have used 205/60R15 tires on my 2005 for the last 40,000 miles and have had no issues.

7. joeyd08

joeyd08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am looking at replacing OEM tires as purchased vehicle used. I purchased it with;one tire brand new, one that was pretty worn and two rears which are about half way home. Considering I purchased w/26K miles don't think I'm losing a lot by replacing all 4 now and the handling is poor the brand new is paired with the mostly worn tire together on the front. I assume a "throw a tire on" job to pass inspection was the culprit. I am also quite certain it needs a 4 wheel alignment. Anyhow were you able to get the larger tires you're using done at a National chain (like Goodyear or NTB) or did you do it yourself/or at local garage? I see you've driven, or are still driving, some of the higher end cars. I traded a BMW for this car and obviously knew handling would take a big hit. However I am positive a better and larger tire can offset some of what I'm feeling (or not feeling). Looking to upgrade to good A/S and larger tire this weekend and am loading up on info. Thanks for any and all input ....Joe D

8. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Joe: The 205's certainly improved handling. The Prius was my wife's car but I drove occasionally. Just try to get tires that don't give away too much in the ride (the Potenza's supposedly have a good ride but they were way too harsh for my liking).

9. scout

scout New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I just put four new Michelin Harmony 195/60/15 tires on my 09. Rides nice. Can't say I notice anything other than that "new tire" ride. Which is exactly as I expected. Out the door at $545.00 Got about 27k on the OEM tires and they were getting fairly close to the tread wear indicators but too low for my comfort as concerns water dispersal capability.

10. joeyd08

joeyd08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks guys. I am thinking that I need to be smart and invest in good A/S tire and think a bit larger would just make the car feel more stable to me. The real thing that would probably help would be a sway bar coupled with new (larger and better) tires. I don't need it to be ready for a racing circuit by any means but would just like that "solid" feel under me when driving. I love the car. My first attempt at using gas saving techniques was pretty successful for a novice. My mpg increased by 8mpg to a 48.8 average and 481 miles on the tank. I have been using A/C liberally as it's been 95 degrees here for most of June. My Beamer was making it about 310 miles on 16 gallons or so ....around 19mpg....so this is a wonderful change. My fill up today did take 11 gallons so I was walking the line from what I know of the "bladder" gas tank and it's 11.5 capacity. I am happy w/the car in so many ways but want to like the ride...not just like the ride :)

11. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    195/60/15 Hydroedges, and a BT Stiffening Plate on ours completely resolved the handling issues we had when we bought it.

Our Prius is now stable, handles excellently in bad weather, and we'd certainly do it again!