1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

last couple of days battery indicator shows drop in charge

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priustexasbob, Aug 1, 2017.

1. priustexasbob

priustexasbob Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    2015 C 18,500 miles on it

the last couple of days, the battery charge indicator has been showing a good discharge if left for a few hours. for instance I arrived at work, turned off C, there was one bar used. got in to come home I had 3 bars showing. nothing was on, it also seemed to take a longer time to recharge and never approached all bar charged like normal. it has been hot here, ambient temps 99-103. could it be heat related? I always leave windows cracked about 2-3 inches with a sun shield in windshield, about 30 minutes prior to leaving I will drop windows all the way down.

today everything was fine ( temp 94), I do have an appointment tomorrow (wednesday) at toyota dealer.

edit: the battery indicator would also show a sudden drop in charge level, look at it with two bars down, look again a few minutes later and two bars left, engine is running

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think this summer's heat has affected a lot of people's batteries negatively.

priustexasbob likes this.
  3. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    I wonder if the car derates the battery's indicated capacity when it gets quite hot? It would be interesting to park the car with a hot battery that shows half full and check it the next morning to see if it shows more charge after it's cooled off.

4. priustexasbob

priustexasbob Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    well the dealer kept the car overnight, gave me a rental, ran error codes and checked battery charging and condition, they said all is well, no error codes. at least I have a record of it now, if it happens again down the road.

bisco likes this.
  5. Javierz0509

Javierz0509 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Remember to clean your fan.