1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

(Last Of The) Mudflap Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by zoomx7, Sep 8, 2006.

1. zoomx7

zoomx7 New Member

Sorry if this has been answered already, but I couldn't find by looking at past posts.
    I'll be getting my (Toyota) mudflaps soon and I have some installation questions.
    These questions regard the rear flaps.
    1) Is the "extra" screw that everyone seems to have added to the installation, included with the kit?
    2) Has anyone not added this and had any problems?
    3) Is the mudflap marked (for drill point) for the "extra" screw?
    4) Instead of another screw added to that spot, could you use a "pushclip" like used on the front mudflaps?
    5) What are we drilling into for this "extra" screw?
    Thanks
    mfc

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MyTFineCar @ Sep 8 2006, 11:46 PM) [snapback]316821[/snapback]</div>
    1. No
    2. Did not add one on mine and everything is fine. :D
    3. Dont think so.
    4. Maybe but a screw would be better if your going to start drilling.
    5. Plastic lower spoiler. The black thing on the bottom of the bumper.
    Your welcome. :D

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Sep 8 2006, 08:49 PM) [snapback]316822[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto. Except for #2 where I DID add one after first not having one at which time everything was fine.

4. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just installed mine, and I didn't think I would do the extra screw, but I ended up doing it.

It's not included, but if you don't add it, it looks like the thing might flap a little bit (even a little extra vibration can add up to a lot over time and shake things loose). It's not included with the kit, but any screw that's not too long will do the trick.

There's no spot marked for it, but it's hard to go wrong beacuse it's a piece of plastic with a bunch of empty space on the other side. One thing I discovered though, is there's a hole right underneath where you really should be adding the screw. You can reach a finger in there and feel around to pick just the right spot. It seemed like it might even be possible to use a bolt/nut instead of a screw if you're careful about getting the nut in that hole.

There are some posts about how to do it without taking off the rear wheel, but I'd say go ahead and take the wheel off to do it. It's easy to do, and is also confidence-building for that rare flat-tire experience. ;) For the front wheel it helps to turn the wheel all the way left or right.

I also bought myself a set of plastic chocks for cheap from Autozone that I now keep in the utility box along with the jack and tire iron.. a little extra caution is always in order.

5. zoomx7

zoomx7 New Member

Wow,
    You folks are quick!

I think I like the nut & bolt idea too.
    I'll have to check out that spot you're talking about.
    I've yet to get down behind the wheels to look around, but I guess I will soon.
    I might mark the flap as to drill at the same point on each one.
    Wonder why Toyota didn't feel it needed the "extra" anchor.
    Or ...maybe I'll try it w/o and see how loose it is at that spot. (Does it actually flop around at this point?)
    I don't know, I hate to drill more than I have to.
    Decisions, decisions, etc.
    Thanks again.

6. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I hadn't heard about the extra screw so did not add one. I didn't notice that the mudflaps seemed loose. :rolleyes: They have been on for a few weeks now and no rattles or vibrations that I can detect.