1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Last years ice catastrophy

Discussion in 'Prius Owner Photos' started by tracyelizabeth, Oct 24, 2008.

1. tracyelizabeth

tracyelizabeth New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It has been just over a year since I got my new Prius. I commute 100 miles to school and the LIE-HOV lane is a blessing. My first winter driving my car, I was in the HOV lane, minding my own business, when a HUGE airborne piece of ice caught my eye. It was the size of a door and flew all around from the far right lane diagnally to me. It never broke apart and I was crazy lucky to not have it go through the windshield (and lose my head...) It is all fixed now, good as new, but I had to use my federal tax credit (I bought it in the last week of the deduction period) for my deductable. Oh well, I still consider myself incredibly lucky. Just thought you all would like seeing this. - TRacy

Attached Files:

2. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Sounds scary. Glad your ok. I am not looking forward to winter driving this year with the Prius, especially from what I hear about the crappy tires the 2008 came with. Terry

3. tracyelizabeth

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks - Long Island had only 1 snow last year so I really don't know how it drives in snow but I hear if you are going to fast and need to slow down quickly, go into the B mode so you don't skid. Lets hope it's a mild one...

4. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wow, that is scary. As much as it sucks you were definitely very lucky.

FWIW my understanding is using B mode actually makes it worse. That puts more resistance on the front wheels and makes it more likely that you will lose traction. In general you would use a higher than normal gear in snow to reduce the torque at the wheels, using B mode is kind of like shifting into a lower gear. Most people seem to find that the newer cars in particular, with the less sensitive traction control, combined with a good set of tires make the Prius very competent in winter. The stock tires are generally not thought very well of, particularly in snow. A number of people have taken a liking to the Nokian WR and WRG2 tires, finding their mileage is as good or better, but traction particularly in slush and snow is infinitely improved. Beyond that, I haven't heard anyone complain that the Prius, even the older one with original tires is really dangerous in snow. The traction control, stability control, and abs do a good job of keeping the car under control. You are just a bit more likely to get stuck, and it may be harder for the car to get itself unstuck. You also need to be a little more careful turning out as if the traction control kicks in you can lose power for a second or two.

Rob

5. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't use "B" on slippery roads. Slow down!!! The car is equipped with ABS and VSC. Those systems should keep you out of trouble as long as you are doing your part as a responsible driver.

6. tracyelizabeth

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I won't use the B - Thanks for the advice. I'm not so worried about the snow, just the snowballs...:)

7. effwitt

effwitt Paparazzi Magnet

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I thought the car did fine last winter - no problem here.