1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Late Fall Tulips

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by chogan, Dec 11, 2006.

1. chogan

chogan New Member

Fully realizing that weather is not climate, I'd like to say that this year is topping the charts for confusing the plants in my yard, here in Northern Virginia. Not only have the daffodils started coming up, and the crocuses, but our tulips (!) are coming up. Never seen tulips do that before. Back when I understood the weather, those were spring plants. Our oxalis has already bloomed, and we have blooming dandelions in the lawn. So, as we remarked yesterday (12/10/06), while barbequing and eating lunch on the patio, it sure seems like a warm fall this year, in Northern Virginia. If we don't get a cold spell soon, to put these plants back to sleep, I believe we're going to end up with fall-blooming tulips.

2. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's amazing. Thankfully, my plants aren't confused as they're buried under what used to be 12 inches of snow. We also had a freezing week and I've never felt more grateful.

Your irregular blooming plants are a problem. Global Warming will definitely start to dictate irregular blooming periods of our plants. Some will go extinct. The seeds of our native plants require different temperatures in order to break dormancy and germinate in the Spring. Some (I should probably say a lot) of these seeds require moist, cold stratification in order to break dormancy. Without it, these seeds will remain dormant. Our plant communities will definitely suffer.

Your scenario brings to my mind a different problem. I'll bet there were no insects pollinating your recently blooming flowers as these insects are probably hibernating/dormant. Without pollination, we'll witness yet another cause of plant extinction. Without plants, many of these very insects won't survive.

To me, all of this is very unsettling. At least I have a refrigerator in which I moist cold stratify my seed to sow in Spring. Unfortunately, nature isn't so equipped.

3. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Dec 11 2006, 03:28 PM) [snapback]360535[/snapback]</div>
    You have that right. Why do I get the feeling that poison ivy, kudzu, catbriar, japanese stilt grass, and all the rest of the noxious weeds are going to do just fine, but somehow every worthwhile plant in my yard is going to suffer?

Update: well, the daffodils are definitely producing buds now. But not the tulips -yet. My wife says one of the ornametal flowering trees at our local shopping center is starting to break bud and go into flower, just a bit. Our figs are showing half-inch green leaf tips on maybe a third of the branch ends, which is very bad because they don't tolerate the cold well at all. National weather service says it'll stay above freezing for the next seven days at least. At this point, it's a fair bet we'll have daffodils for Christmas.

Know what I wish? Wish the cherry blossoms would come out in downtown DC. Maybe that would get some attention.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chogan @ Dec 14 2006, 02:04 PM) [snapback]362462[/snapback]</div>
    There is some truth to that or at least that is the current study topic. A lot of invasive species do very well in a CO2 rich environment because they have adapted to open, disturbed areas and generally spread very quickly.

5. chogan

chogan New Member

Update: Sure enough, we had one daffodil in full bloom in our yard on 12/24/06. That's a new record for us. We have another dozen or so that are going to open in the next few days. The tulips and crocuses have decided to stay put for the time being. Somehow,"The Holly and the Daffodil" just doesn't hack it as a Christmas carrol.

6. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Over the weekend, I had a dandelion blooming. I left the flower as I figure some insects may relish the pollen. I figure the Goldfinch can finish off the seeds when they set. I've never seen late blooming either. There was only one flower in bloom, but one flower was enough to invoke concern.

7. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chogan @ Dec 27 2006, 11:10 AM) [snapback]367118[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Chogan,

You might want to cross-polinate those flowers, or they might not come back up in spring. Unless the bees are out too over there?

8. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chogan @ Dec 11 2006, 01:28 PM) [snapback]360433[/snapback]</div>
    I've planted my CA Bay-Area yard in California Native plants, and am noticing some of the same behaviour.

My red-twig dogwood refuses to bare its red-twigs; the pink flowering currants are already growing new leaves, and even the large-leafed maple out back seemed to continue growing further and further into the Fall/Winter.

An article in the local paper also mentioned that some native butterflies are being impacted and lack the adaptability to change to the new, more [ahem] "mild" climactic conditions...

Suddenly I find myself hoping that my perceptions are NOT accurate...

9. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Dec 27 2006, 04:05 PM) [snapback]367341[/snapback]</div>
    Far as I can tell there's been no coverage of this in the Washington Post. But I'm seeing plant behavior that I've never seen before, and I've lived almost all my life in Northern Virginia. Today, my wife spotted what appears to be a cherry tree in full bloom, about four blocks from our house, and went back to get a snapshot (see attached). I know I've never seen the cherries bloom in December here before. [attachmentid=6031]

Attached Files:

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    evidence of global warming abounds everywhere. remember killer bees?? they have migrated nearly 2000 miles north as a result of global warming.

what about Australia??? going thru a summer right now that is averaging 10ºC ground temps higher than the past several years. air temps are 2.11ºC higher than average.

result??: massive wild fires and droughts.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHa...p3?img_id=14049

11. chogan

chogan New Member

Crocuses. As of today, we now have crocuses blooming in our yard. So, as of 1/3/07, in my neighborhood, blooming plants include:

Daffodils
    Crocuses
    Forsythia
    Cherry (possibly fall-blooming)
    Ornamental willow.

12. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chogan @ Jan 3 2007, 04:37 PM) [snapback]370334[/snapback]</div>
    1/5/07, add spirea to the list. Our spirea has gone into bloom (in a shaded location on the north side of the house, yet).

I'm definitely planting some peas tomorrow, in the 70 degree heat.

Did a quick tour of the yard. My silver maple is getting ready to bloom. The buds are swelling and splitting. Give it another week or so.

People should be far more freaked out about this. Far as I can tell, the US East Coast just skipped winter.

13. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chogan @ Jan 3 2007, 04:37 PM) [snapback]370334[/snapback]</div>
    I just checked the data at the National Herbarium, and it appears that a January 3 crocus beats the all-time record early bloom by about 2 weeks.

Those of you in the DC area might be interest in this database of earliest recorded flowering dates:

http://persoon.si.edu/dcflora/springflowers/spring.cfm

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking at the weather map today, I would suggest those of you living in the Eastern US cover up your blooms as well as you can. The blast of Arctic air that flowed South as far as California is now heading East. If it's not already too late, bag the small trees and shrubs, and pile mulch on the flowers, covering them right up with dried leaves. It's gonna get nasty cold, and those poor blooms are in for a shock.

15. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Jan 15 2007, 04:00 PM) [snapback]375993[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the warning. I had not been tracking the weather, but the national weather service is predicting22 F in Washington DC tonight. Survival of the daffodils is iffy at that temperature, I guess we'll pick them. Beyond that, there's not much we can do.

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well the east coast has not seen winter yet, but the west coast has been socked a half dozen times. most of the weather seems to stall in the colorado/kansas area. this one is strong enough to make it all the way across.

watching the national news last night and the weather front was over 2000 miles long stretching from canada to mexico.

we just got hit with another 4" of snow. in a place where we average about 1.2 snowfalls a year, this is our 5th. we had 221% more than average precip for nov, 179% precip for Dec and are at 230% precip for jan... definitely an unusual winter

17. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Jan 16 2007, 11:51 AM) [snapback]376237[/snapback]</div>
    We finally got a little snow again in Chicago after a record 44 consecutive snow free days. That was the longest we've gone without snow in winter since 1890.

18. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Jan 16 2007, 11:15 AM) [snapback]376256[/snapback]</div>
    Excellent! Other parts of the country I am certain are envious. Hope you don't drink OJ - looks like the costs should be skyrocketing soon unless they can bottle frozen oranges directly :D Overall probably good for the countries health since there are so many calories in OJ.