1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Late to change Engine Oil

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kamrul, Jun 3, 2024.

1. kamrul

kamrul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Members,

Mine is a 2013 with 130K Kilometers (about 80K Miles).

I have almost always changed the 0W-20 engine oil and filter every 6 months or 5K Kilometers, whichever had come first in the last 5 years. This time, I haven't changed it yet nearing 8 months partially because the car has run less - still around 4.5K Kilometers and partially because I have been away. I am using Havoline 0W-20 from Caltex.

I am about to replace the oil and filter with the same brand in a couple of weeks. Is there anything else like flushing the engine that I should better do because the oil change cycle has been delayed by at least two months from the recommendation?

One thing to note, the average moving speed is terribly slow here because of the heavy traffic. Just to give an idea, the average speed in these 4.5K Kilometers has been around 12 Kilometers per Hour. So, the engine always needs to idle a lot in slow-moving traffic.

bisco likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Don't need to do a thing drop put in the filter drop the new oil forget about it

kamrul and ColoradoBoo like this.
  3. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tom is correct, just change the oil and filter and she's good!! The only time I would suggest an engine flush (with something like Liquid Moli) would be on a severely neglected engine that's has gone well over the oil change interval, especially with engines with a turbo.

kamrul likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Or some sort of contamination, say accidentally poured in transmission fluid.

ColoradoBoo and kamrul like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maintenance schedules are somewhat arbitrary, but they have to give us some sort of guidance.
    i agree with everyone above.

kamrul likes this.