1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

latest # of HOV stickers issued?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by greenbaby!, Oct 12, 2005.

1. greenbaby!

greenbaby! New Member

Does anyone know how many HOV stickers have been issued as of this week?

I mailed my application on 9/22/05 and my check has not been cashed and I'm getting worried that I won't make the cut off.

2. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    While I have no latest info on the #, but I would guess that the goverment will issue a notice if the quota limit is approaching. Since they cashed your check, you should be expecting it in a few days. I heard it takes about 3-4 weeks now. :(

3. halfbreed

halfbreed Junior Member

I don't know how many have been issued, but I for one am not using them.
    I got mine and I was shocked and disgusted.
    Even if they were easily removeable, no way am I putting FOUR of these ugly yellow things on my car.

4. Rattiemama

Rattiemama New Member

I got mine on Saturday (10/8) and they are number 24,9XX. I beleive they're issuing 75,000, so you're probably safe. I sent off my packet only a few days before you did. The date issued on the card that accompanies the stickers is 10/5/2005, and my bank cleared the check on 10/6, so I get the feeling it takes a while to get through the red-tape, but once you see your check is cashed, they arrive very quickly.

When I sent off my first packet, I supidly forgot to include the check for $8 (i had all the fast track stuff, and everything). I resent the entire package with a letter explaining the situation about 2 days later. The day before I received my stickers I got a letter in the mail saying they had received my applicaiton but still needed the $8 fee. I waited and the stickers came the next day, so I guess they figured it out.

I'd advise you to wait until at least Monday, and if you still haven't received anything or seen your check go through that you try to take action again. Of course if you're feeling paranoid you can try sending off another application with another checck and a letter and hope they don't try and cash both. Of course if they do it's only $8. I think a stopped check fee is more than that.

Oh and on the ugliness factor . . . they are very ugly. There was a thread here before about turning them into magnets so you can put them on when needed and store them in your glovebox. Unfortunately, after the crash, it won't load anymore. The drawback is the stickers have to go on the bumper material, which is not metal. The way to deal with that is to glue a strong bar magnet to the inside of your bumper in the right spot. It's going to be my craft project next weekend, so I'll post a thread about it if the other one doesn't come back up.

5. pennyprius

pennyprius New Member

Stickers? What stickers? What state or jurisdiction are you all talking about? Here in Northern VA we have HOV3 with a hybrid exemption.

6. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Over here in California.
    We have to put on 4 huge, oddly shaped, bright yellow stickers all over our car before we can drive in the carpool lane.
    The circus is coming to town.

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    [attachmentid=600]
    They look something like this: :D

8. Ranger

Ranger New Member

I got mine Tuesday, 10/11/05. Check cleared the bank 09/30/2005. Mailed in around 09/15/2005 (without license plate number). Issue number 30,xxx.

9. Fmellish

Fmellish New Member

I got mine yesterday. Although my check to the DMV hasn't shown up as cashed yet.

10. JMcPhee

JMcPhee New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Fmellish - what issue number?

11. JMcPhee

JMcPhee New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I agree :D ! Although there was an initial rush, you have to figure they're only selling about 10,000 qualifying cars a month in CA (based on this year's sales numbers from all car makers), so you're probably safe through the beginning of December :lol: .

However, please know, if you didn't already, that part of the bill passed allows the DMV to review the program at 50,000 permits :huh: , and stop it if it's causing congestion :( . If they don't stop it, they will continue to issue permits to the maximum of 75,000 ;) .

12. comstocker

comstocker Junior Member

The San Jose Mercury News reported today that around 27,000 carpool stickers have been mailed out as of Wednesday, October 12. The DMV is receiving 300-500 applications a week and says, "We doubt that we will hit 75,000 for several months at least, but if hybrid sales really skyrocket, it could come sooner.".

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...&cid=1101801477

13. greenbaby!

greenbaby! New Member

I just got my HOV decals this weekend!! :D

signed papers to purchase prius: 9/8
    sent HOV application: 9/22 (I only put my VIN. I put "NEW" in license # field.)
    took delivery: 9/24
    check cashed: 10/12
    HOV decals received: 10/15
    Sticker #: 34,6XX (it's says UNK under license #.)

Sadly, they are really big and ugly. I just can't bear to put them on my baby. :(

Can someone repost how they place the stickers on with magnets please?

Also has anyone placed their stickers in places other than the DMV designated places and have you gotten pulled over by the cops for not putting them in the proper places?

I'm thinking about putting the side stickers on with magnets on the door, the back stickers in the rear window and the front sticker in my front window.

14. stealth

stealth New Member

Just got mine last week (30048) and they're pretty ugly all right. My Prius is black and black and yellow is my favorite color combo of all time but I don't consider these to be a nice color of yellow at all.

Just to give you and idea I've been looking for some yellow/chrome rims I saw years ago and am considing putting yellow vinal on the dark parts of the interior.

In other words if I don't like these stickers I don't think anyone will...

15. psirus

psirus New Member

I have a black Prius on which the yellow stickers are most visible. I'm esthetically sensitive myself, and reluctantly put them on, and after thinking about magnets and inside the windows and all that, eventually put them where they should be though as low as possible. Funny thing happened; once they were on, I LIKED them. Not so much because they looked good, as for what they meant. Kind of part of the Prius THING, so to speak.

No offence intended, but I think we should stop whining about the bloody stickers' appearance. After all, we wanted Prii eligible for the HOV lanes; we don't have to actually GET them if we don't want to; if we do get them we don't have to actually USE them. . .

Surprise! They aren't intended to be ornaments, but to be easily visible to the CHP, which is why they aren't small or in subdued colors. All this hand wringing about the stickers makes us sound like pampered babies ourselves, rather than technologically sophisticated and environmentally sensitive pragmatics. That's what we are, right?

16. RMunroe

RMunroe New Member

re: the California HOV stickers.

I bought some magnetic material at a sign company and mounted the two ugly large and one ugly small sticker on the magnetic stuff. They are in the glove box for use when I want to go solo in the HOV lanes and get them back off at other times.

I haven't used them yet, but the large ones will go on the rear quarter panel above the seam (there is steel there). The one small sticker I plan to use on the front fender beside the headlight. The is no steel for magnets in the back so I may just put the sticker on the small rear window.

Has anyone actually tried these "not quite right" locations? Has anyone had any problem from the Highway Patrol about the alternate locations?

17. kbertsche

kbertsche Junior Member

The article gives a few figures:
    300-500 applications received per week
    32832 applications received by Oct 12
    26670 applications accepted by Oct 12
    1881 applications returned due to problems

This leaves 4281 applications unaccounted for. Assuming that these are still being processed, this means there is an 8-14 week backlog of applications.

Assuming that the application rate stays constant, it would take 88-147 weeks to get to the limit of 75000 applications. This is well into 2007 or even later!

I'm a bit skeptical of some of these numbers, especially "300-500" applications per week. But even if this were to go up to 1000 per week, the carpool stickers should still last past June 2006.

Kirk

18. mattmcg

mattmcg New Member

With those numbers, that means that new buyers should be able to receive the stickers well out into April/May of '06!

One question for you all as well. I understand that the stickers expire in 2008. Is that Jan 1 2008 or Dec 31st 2008? What is the chance that this is extended?

Another question. Do CNG vehicles get different treatment with a non-expiring 'access ok' sticker?

19. RadMarv

RadMarv Member

Answer...

(e) This section shall remain in effect only until January 1, 2008, and as of that date is repealed, unless a later enacted statute, that is enacted before January 1, 2008, deletes or extends that date.

20. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    According to Dave Hermance (Toyota Executive Engineer) talking at the San Diego Prius club on Sunday, there have been 36,000 carool stickers issued as of last week.
    Seems they get weekly updates on this.

1. You do not need a license plate to apply.
    2. They are NOT transferable- so those of you changing your earlier Prius for a Jan. 1 Prius- you cannot transfer it. You must apply for a new one (if available).