1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

latest on oil overfilling?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bob Allen, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK, my dealer used 4.0 quarts instead of 3.9 quarts; I know, because I buy my own Quaker State synthetic rather than using dealer Mobil !, and this time there was no unused oil. The dipstick shows about an eighth of an inch above the top dot. Is the 0.1 quart overfill going to do irreparable damage to my car? Seems unlikely to me. A year or so ago, there was a discussion about this and I was wondering if any of you had an update on whether the slight overfill is a problem. I have a thin plastic tube in my toolbox for siphoning out the small amount in question, if necessary.
    Thanks,
    Bob

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Bob,

No.

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You won't do any damage, but you will probably see an MPG hit. At least that is my experience. I always tell them to put in 3.5 quarts and leave it just below the full mark. When it has been overfilled, I have siphoned out the excess.

4. dhoward

dhoward Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What I have found to work, with the dealer, is I bring along a copy of the related TSB and have them staple it to the work order. Works like a charm.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Next time try giving them *three* bottles. The level will be fine and you won't get back a greasy half-filled bottle to mess with.