1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Latest UCS report on EV vs ICE vehicles.

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by Zythryn, Jun 4, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Trollbait, sylvaing, hill and 2 others like this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm near Brownsville TX to see the rocket launch and have yet to read the paper. But I want to add my data points:
    • 2014 BMW i3-REx - 72 mi EV and 2.3 gal gas (after coding,) It gave me EV cost saving in town and to the adjucent towns within ~25 mi radius. Gas only gave 39 MPG at 70 mph but that was more of a 'transport' mode than practical daily feature.
    • 2017 Prius Prime - 25 mi EV, my work was 10 miles away. Worse, the control laws of mine "lied" and when the temperature was below 55 F, it ran the gas engine ON ITS OWN. That 2.x version of Toyota Safety Sense offended my engineering sensibilities. The band new, 2017 Prime became 'driveway art' as the 2014 BMW i3-REx was a much better Plug-in hybrid.
    • 2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus - the $1,200 extra AutoPilot paid for the car the second month when I had a medical problem and the car stayed in lane and dynamic cruise control. There were five, ~5-10 second, micro-sleep events, my late wife counted, and AutoPilot handled each brilliantly. As for efficiency, around town, it gets 4-5 miles per $0.12 kWh. Roughly $2.50 for 100 miles not including ~15% free charging from merchants who want my business. It has over 135,000 mi after 5 years and with Full Self Driving, it is functionally a "Johnny Cab."
    • 2017 BMW i3-REx - 106 mi EV range and 88 mi gas range on 2.3 gal. The shorter wheel base than Tesla makes it an excellent 'going for groceries' car and reduces the charging cycles that age the Tesla battery.
    • 2019 Tesla battery - originally 240 mi range, back then there were significant gaps in the SuperCharger network that could only be filled by slower L2 charging. Five years later, the battery range is 210 mi. Thankfully, the SuperCharger network expanded so fast, it is all but universal in Dixie. I added the CCS-1 kit so sometimes it is cheaper to take a direct path with CCS-1 charging to save time, distance, and money.
    Bob Wilson