1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lawnmower suggestions needed

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by zenMachine, Apr 7, 2011.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I need to put the teens to working on the lawn. Would appreciate any recomnendations on eco friendly mowers and such. Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many square feet? if you're looking cordless electric, ryobi has a new 48 volt self propelled model that looks pretty good. i bought a canadian brand 2 years ago,(solaris) and it's a p o s. batteries losing charging capacity quickly, very heavy, but it cuts fine when it's charged. very heavy, i don't think they make lawn mowers as a regular business.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you need to go with a gas mower, you can't do better than Honda.

Tom

4. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Lawn in general is not eco-friendly. Reduce the lawn as much as you can; get those teens planting low maintenance, native ground cover or wildflowers instead. For lawn, make sure you plant some clover to help fertilize the grass.

First choice for mowers is a reel mower. Especially if you like putting green type lawns. I use mine for the 'croquet lawn' and it produces the best cut of any type of mower. I used to do my whole lawn with it when I had a smaller lawn. Keep it sharpened!

A friend of mine converted his gas mower into a solar electric see: CONVERTING A GAS MOWER TO  SOLAR ELECTRIC POWER

Black & Decker makes a reasonable corded model which I would recommend over any battery model if you are always within 100 feet or so of your house. It is overly bulky and heavy though (though nothing like a gas mower). They used to make a small one with flip-over handle (to keep the cord on one side). I know of one which has been in service for 30 years with no maintenance other than patching the cord. :eek:

I have a Neuton, which I like a lot, and which I abuse mercilessly. Being gentle with the battery, and for a smallish sized lawn it is pretty good.

1 person likes this.
  5. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Scissors?
    Rounded/Safety tip of course, in case the teens get restless.

6. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    do a search on the internet for "electric lawn mower" or "riding electric lawn mower"

7. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  9. yunebug

yunebug Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  10. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So far looks like it'll be either a corded electric or an old-school push reel mower.

I'm leaning more toward the reel right now because the yard is rather large and irregularly shaped since the house sits at the end of a cul-de-sac. Not sure if a corded mower can easily reach everywhere. Also, the boys could use a workout as well.

As an added bonus, perhaps I can use it to carve out a mini chipping/putting area for meself as well! :)

11. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Growing up, we lived with an aunt that was an old-maid school teacher for a while and she only had a push reel mower. It was my brother and my job to cut the grass.

It did not take us long to figure out that the best trick with the push mower was to mow often:). As long as the grass was short the push mower was not that hard to push. Let it get a little long and it was a PIA to push.

12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with the reel push mower, but I like the idea of getting rid of the lawn even better. Don't do it because you think it'll be less work, though. Digging up the sod, preparing the soil, landscaping, moving plants and weeding all add up to far more work than mowing the lawn. Sure is purty, though. ;)

13. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've reduced the lawn area quite a bit the past few years by putting in flower beds all around the house. They help to keep the foundation moist and insulated during the scorching summer. The wife loves it, but my back was killing me!

With a reel mower, however, a putting area is very tempting.

14. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Goats, they'll eat anything and keep the yard and neighborhood litter free.

15. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good point. I just through in the sheep option in honor of Tom. :)

1 person likes this.
  16. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Be careful though: VTEC might kick in.

17. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

That's all my father, and now I, have ever bought. I don't like the 'cheap' plastic deck ones you can buy at home depot though. Pay the extra and get the ones which have an aluminum or steel deck. Yes, they can cost more upfront but these Honda mowers last 15+ years with little to no maintenance even if only moderately cared for.

18. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gas mowers emit disproportionately large amounts of pollution. A corded electric does just as good a job.

19. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My Honda mower is 27 years old. The only maintenance it has required is an oil change every few years when I remember, plus a new blade.

Agreed, assuming one has a yard where it works. If you were building a new place you could add strategically located outlets. On the other hand, one could find something better than grass.

We have a relatively small amount of grass. I probably wouldn't even have that except we are in the center of the village where there are tree lawns and such. People wouldn't like it if our yard was completely natural. Our back three lots are woods and creek, so no mowing back there.

Tom

20. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've had 2 Black and Decker cordless, they've been good for my 1/3 acre lawn. I continue to take lawn out of production for environmental reasons. I've planted a hundred trees seedlings on my lot in the last 5 years.