1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lawsuit accuses car industry of inflating prices

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by zenMachine, Sep 27, 2007.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A class-action lawsuit launched in Toronto accuses major automakers and dealers of violating competition and consumer protection laws by conspiring to artificially inflate car prices in Canada.

... The lawsuits -- which came at a time when the Canadian dollar was valued in the 65-cent US range -- were launched after Americans crossing the border to buy cars were denied warranty coverage.

...The statement of claim names as defendants:

General Motors Corp., General Motors of Canada Ltd., American Honda Motor Co. Inc., Honda Canada Inc., Chrysler Canada Inc., Chrysler LLC, Nissan North America Inc., Nissan Canada Inc., along with the Canadian Automobile Dealers Association and the National Automobile Dealers Association in the United States.

The firm also plans to add Toyota and Ford, including their Canadian units, once it has signed up representative plaintiffs for each one...

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

2. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Sep 27 2007, 07:59 AM) [snapback]518463[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting,and I think Toyota Canada should definitely be included.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    US traditionally always had low car prices (even when the exchange rate was 68¢).

Some of the prices are fairly competitive to give them credit (I've been following Toyota's pricing closely esp. since we've owned 4 Toyotas in the last 10 years).

However, Toyota does sneak in a price hike here and there... like when it introduced the 2002 Camry. The XLE V6 base price rose $2kish but the fully loaded price jumped to $36k! The 2001 Camry XLE V6 topped out at $31kish.

Of course there's added equipment but I doubt it's worth the extra $5,000 (which they've carried over to the 2007 model. It's now $37.5k). Meanwhile Honda and Nissan stuck to the low 30s for their fully loaded models.

The only thing I can think of is that the Gen 5 Camry (02-06) had extensive use of aluminium. The hood is ridiculously light, the trunk is soo light, you'd swear it's carbon fibre and I'm assuming the suspension as aluminium bits too. The reason is that our 2002 Camry XLE 4 cylinder weighs LESS than my friend's automatic TSX and it's a much smaller car.

But seriously.. $5,000 for more aluminium and a few extra niceties (rear sunshade, auto-dimming mirror w/compass, trip computer, foglights)

4. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had a response back from the lawyer group in charge.
    Because Toyota isn't included, I would have to start a suit of my own.

IOW, I have to dish out money to possibly get a few K's in return. I estimate my 2006 Prius had a 5k$ overcharge compared to had I bought it in the US, paid all the paperwork, added DRL, etc.

Since I was financing, I decided to suck it in. An extra K/year, or 83$ per month, isn't worth the trouble.