1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lawsuit against Toyota 60MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by NiMHPrius, Jul 12, 2004.

1. NiMHPrius

NiMHPrius New Member

I can't believe it, a bunch of people are suing Toyota and Honda for stating MPG higher than actual MPG of their hybrids.

http://www.evworld.com/view.cfm?section=ar...cle&storyid=719

What do you think? Is it right to sue for this reason? Why not lawsuits against the Big Three US auto makers for not making Hybrids. I am an engineer who designs power systems for EV's and Hybrid Vehicles, and I can tell you that there is no technological, nor monetary reason why we could not all be driving what ever type of car we choose, that would have at least 3 times the MPG. I have been working on EVs that magnetically (non-contact charger, not paddle charging) rapid charge in 10 minutes with 250 mile range and they work! The only reason that Toyota is not flooding the US market with Hybrids is because of the very powerful Oil god serving Elite.

I think it's crazy to sue the only companies who really care about the future of the earth, for what? For doing questionable marketing practice (which all automakers are doing)?

Ahhh.... sounds like an other child’s ingratitude to his parents (you know what I mean)?

On a side issue: What would the US be like if the billions of dollars that are beening spent on the War, would be spent on a National Project like the 60’s going to the moon, a project of Energy Abundance. Just take 20% of the Defense (War) Budget, and in 10 years we would have clean fusion power running our National Grid. We would be driving non polluting electric vehicles that invisibly charge from roadway magnetic chargers. We would not burn Oil, but use it to make products, etc.

I could go on and on, but I wish with our collective conscience we could bring about a leadership that could once again bring back a positive vision for all of us to live for. The US economy would boom. There would be no shortage of jobs. With that wealth and good will we could stamp out terrorism by gifting free fusion power technology to developing countries. If you look at the world (and this is from UN study) the countries with the lowest watt hours generated per capita, are those that have the highest death rate, the most unstable political systems, and the most prone to terrorism.

We shouldn’t be suing, we should be gathering a collective voice of encouragement to companies and governments that are working hard to bring about positive change.

NiMHPrius

2. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    I can not imagine the suit will work as the figures are dictated to Toyota by the EPA (?) . Even Toyota state the figures are not accurate as they have to use those from the EPA tests. Hence the YMMV statement.

3. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, it will be another frivolous lawsuit. All that can be hoped for is that the lawyers aren't able to cherry pick their judge, and thusly, the outcome of the verdict.

The automakers are required by law to post the EPA numbers, and if they post anything other than that as a fuel economy figure - even if the number is more accurate - they can be subject to massive fines.

Of course, I do find it oddly amusing, that people are suing the automakers for the results of their own poor driving habits.

4. Tigkoly

Tigkoly New Member

This lawsuit will be dismissed. Back in the 70's when the first energy crisis hit the government decided that the use of MPG rating had to be the ones provided from the government tests. They cannot be more, even if the realworld MPG is more, and they cannot be less, even if the realworld MPG is less. If you us MPG at all in your advertising you must use only the exact results of the EPA MPG test.
    The only other alternative would be for Toyota and Honda to advertise,"These cars get really good MPG, but we can't tell you how good."

5. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As is usual with Class Action suits like this, they aren't expecting to 'win'.

They are expecting to hold up Toyota for a payment to make them go away.

Of course, all the cash will go to the Lawyers. The people in the suit will get a Free Oil Change Coupon or something.

SOP for Class Action Tort Vultures in the US.

If you'll note the Article says "They've successfully litigated over the last six to seven years similar complaints against SUV makers whose official mileage claims, as stated on the "Monroney sticker" on a new car, are also seen as unrealistic exaggerations. Claims of 24 mpg on the highway and 17 in the city turn out to be 12 on the highway and 7 in the city."

I really doubt they 'won' those suits. The definition of 'successful litigation' is 'got money'.

6. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

i dont understand anyway, i hit EPA on my car, and above sometimes, people just dont understand how to drive this car, and now they are suing toyota and honda over it?

:|

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How dare you! Now we're gonna sue you for tortious intentional infliction of mental anguish and libel.

8. NiMHPrius

NiMHPrius New Member

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Unfortunately, it is not possible to trace the lawsuit back to its origins to identify who actually came up with the idea. It is entirely possible that lawyers approached Prius owners and suggested that if they are not getting the EPA numbers, they are losing money and should sue Toyota.

10. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you check their website

http://www.brennanlaw.com/

They Advertise right on the Front Page

-We Handle Inflated Gas Mileage Claims Involving Toyota and Honda hybrid vehicles!

11. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Also, you can see their 'SUV Case'

http://www.brennanlaw.com/lemonlaw/suv-gas-mileage.htm

Initially, Defendants Ford Motor Co., et al., filed a demurrer to Ms. Rios Complaint. However, shortly thereafter they offered to settle the case for a confidential sum. Ms. Rios has accepted the offer.

12. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This type of greed will not end until there is tort reform. I sure the lawyers involved will make out like bandits, spend some of their loot to buy off congress and we will all pay to make them rich. The system is broken. :pukeright:

13. jrawles

jrawles New Member

Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV)

After 3500 miles, I was averaging 45 miles per gallon driving to and from work, but I was driving 'aggressively': Quick acceleration and top speeds of 80 mph when conditions were appropriate. I wanted to test the conventional wisdow "Its all in how you drive". So, for this last tank, I made several changes to my driving style:
    1. Pamper it as much as possible- slow gentle accelations.
    2. Use cruise control as much as possible, set at 66 mph.
    3. Don't drive faster than 66 mph.

The result. In one week, my average mileage went up by 6 mpg to 51
    mpg!!! :p :p :p :p

If this lawsuit wins, it'll be a dark day for personal responsibility.

14. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

^^ exactly...

NO cars achieve their EPA mpg rating, but most people dont calculate their actual MPG on their non hybrid cars, if they did, they would be off by a good 5 or 6 too...

Its just because hybrids in real time give out the MPG info people are frekaing out, because they dont understand flooring it will lower mpg...

Its not that hard to achieve EPA if you drive the speed limit, and dont do jack rabbit accelerations...

15. jrawles

jrawles New Member

I have little doubt that if I dropped my top speed to 55 mph, I could achieve or surpass EPA.

-J. Rawles

16. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    that's just a ridiculous lawsuit. :pukeleft: if they're not satisfied with their mileage, sell their prius to those more deserving. it's the EPA that declared such a mileage rating. meanwhile why dont they look at the mileage of conventional cars which really DO NOT and never do meet the declared EPA mileage rating. it just so happened that it's easier to check mileage on hybrids that they are aware of what mpg they're getting. it's just sad that it's come to this. :cussing: i can see the dollar signs in their eyes... :pukeleft:

17. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Actually, it occurs to me that Toyota could just offer to take the car back, and probably re-sell it at a profit, if any of the claimants really want to get rid of a Prius. :)

I'm not sure that Honda could do that though.

18. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think a smart defense attorney would bring a laptop and log onto PriusChat and show the judge the "I Beat the EPA" thread here. Then surf over to the GreenHybrid.com site and show him the list of cars there and how many are meeting or exceeding the EPA numbers on a regular basis.

If it wasn't dismissed immediately he could have a few of us who routinely DO exceed the EPA numbers come and drive one of the plaintiff's car for a few hundred miles, beat the numbers and thus directly show that it can, in real life with one of the cars allegedly incapable of meeting the numbers actually achieve them.

If money's awarded after that then the whole system's corrupt and probably some bribes were passed. It SHOULD be that easy.

19. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

Well, i know my car can easily achieve the combined 55mpg that the EPA claims, i've gotten 56 on one tank, and 48 on the other. The 56 i drove the speed limits, and didnt jack rabbit, or have really short trips. The 48 was mostly freeway where i drove 80 most of the way, drive it nice and easy, and do things like kick it into stealth mode if driving around 30-40 by releasing your foot from the accelerator, and pressing it lightly again. Little things like that will get you to EPA in no time :)

20. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Evan,

That law suit is about as frivolous as they come and it eventually will be dismissed, well prior to trial, because federal law prohibits Toyota from advertising any gasoline mileage numbers other that the official EPA's results. In addition, isn't there a fine print disclaimer to the effect that "your mileage will vary..." The losing party could then be ordered to pay the costs and attorney fees incurred by the defendants, namely Toyota Motors.

However, what you are suggesting will not work. The messages which are posted on this and other bulletin boards are considered to unreliable and inadmissible hearsay because they are not subject to cross examination. What prevents anyone from signing up to this site and then embellishing to their heart's content? I guess that they could always subpoena you as a defense witness to testify under oath :lol: .