1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lawsuit filed against Toyota today in 2006 Prius brake failure death.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sorka, Feb 12, 2010.

1. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Toyota sued in Calif. over acceleration deaths - Yahoo! Finance

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm wondering how the attorney for the Donoghue Prius lawsuit will pursue the claim that Prius lacks the "brake to idle" safety feature. (At least when working properly,) Prius already has that feature.

3. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

Now I'm going to stop driving my 2006 Prius. What the h-ll is going on here. I thought owners of the 2006 were only dealing with the floor mat. Can someone knowledgeable set us staright on the 2006.

Last I thought Toyota could raise about the present day problems but each day my confidence is less. Comments please

4. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That there is a problem with the Gen II Prius cars?

I expect there will be all sorts of posts denying that there is a problem. In which circumstance, you will have to make up your mind for yourself.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Of course there will be since the VAST MAJORITY of us don't have a problem.

I swear I'm going to buy you a set of pom poms so you can spread your brake problem cheer everywhere. :cheer2:

1 person likes this.
  6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Roger, by the way you phrase your question/statement, the only way you will be completely satisfied is when Toyota recalls all cars. Here's why:

1) There will always be lawsuits claiming all sorts of things. The more absurd the claim, the more visible the lawsuit which means the lawyers will get more face-time in the news which means they will draw more clients in the future. So of course lawyers will make bold claims.

2) A denial of a problem will always leave open the possibility that a problem exists. And often times, the more a person or company denies the existence of a problem the harder lawyers and reporters will claim there is a problem. After all, if there weren't a problem they wouldn't spend so much time claiming that there isn't one.

3) There is no #3.

4) Claiming that a problem does not exist leaves open the possibility that the problem does in fact exist but simply hasn't been detected yet. In this case, once and problem is detected, it will be held up as proof that Toyota knew about a problem all along and was stalling.

So you see, some of us have grown very tired of the news, of the lawyers, of the other PriusChat members jumping up and down and insisting that Toyota admit their problems. Because, for the reasons I've posted above and many more, those people will never be satisfied until Toyota admits that everything is wrong with everything. Short of that, as apriusfan says, you will have to make your own decision as to whether a lack of problem is indication that there is no problem or that Toyota is hiding something.

1 person likes this.
  7. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    One thing Toyota could do to answer the question regarding Gen II brake system issues would be to have a transparent investigation into the issues that have been reported. Instead of hiring ex-NHTSA employees to bury the reported issues, investigate them. If NHTSA says there is no issue after an objective investigation, it gets pretty hard to credibly claim there is some vast conspiracy on the part of Toyota.

Akio Toyoda claimed to be working to implement a transparent mechanism to address concerns before they escalate to the level of a safety recall. Well here is a perfect opportunity to show how serious he really is about the claim. Go to Congress and testify about what is being done to implement such a review process. And then make it happen.