1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LE, XLE, AWD? Which would you buy and why?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by daisy555, Feb 26, 2022.

1. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi!

I’ve been researching 2022 Prius models. I’m one of the few who don’t care for the wavy design on the hatch of the Prime. I test drove one and there was dirt accumulating in the valley of that wave. I don’t think I could deal with the small cargo size either. Plus I don’t have access to electric charging at apartment complex. Off topic but…can you drive the Prime as hybrid only? Would this make sense with hopes that electric chargers will be more accessible in the future? I commute 50 miles each way 3-5 days per week.

1. I live in CT and supposedly dealers only have AWDs trickling in. I could request a FWD but could involve a long wait/search from a southern state. Do have to be concerned about CARB state or are all 2020/2022 cars CARB compliant? Maybe AWD is the best choice due to occasional big storms. I’m focusing on price, lack of spare tire and the fact that I’m driving a 2009 Prius with all-season tires and manage ok unless I get stuck on a hill somewhere. I don’t do snow adventures but maybe it’s just common sense to get AWD in New England. I know it’s electric/automatic and not heavy duty AWD. Does anyone have regrets either way? MPG or lack of spare?

2. I love the comfort of leather seats and steering wheel in my 2009. Looks brand new except for driver seat patina and some very annoying cracks. Visually most of it looks like Softex. I cringed when I test drove 2022 with Softex steering wheel due to the feel of it. Does it hold up well? I know it won’t age like leather but does it stain? Does it breath? Looks like I’ll be stuck with black interior because I’m not into the tan. Was hoping for dark gray again. I can’t imagine my natural hand lotion or other occasional mishap not staining this faux leather unless it’s not porous and just wipes clean. I saw a few pics of what looked like bleached stains on arm rests and seat. Any feedback greatly appreciated since I will need to keep this car for as long as it works. Wish there was the option of the LE steering wheel in all models. I’m guessing the current cloth seats still stain a bit easier and might not be as comfortable/supportive. Are there comfortable seats covers that work over side air bags? I’m only 5’3” and had difficulty setting the lumbar adjustment on Prime but maybe I was too rushed or don’t need it.

3. For those who own any of these models do you have any regrets in regards to components or package upgrades? I’m not high tech but I’ve become used to the comforts of this fully loaded 2009. Concerned I might overlook something that I’m thinking will be standard in 2022. I’m aging myself by saying I’m going to miss my JBL stereo and CD player. I don’t need or care for that large 11 inch display but might have to deal with it. Was actually wondering if you can dim or darken the display. Shutting it off would be ideal. : )

Any feedback or other things I should be thinking about, please let me know. My car is still running. Of course I could wait for 2023 but my funding circumstance is very time sensitive plus I’m concerned what big changes will occur for 2023. Higher gas mileage would be great but I need the hatchback. I’ve only purchased one other néw car in my entire 58 years. I would be getting used Prius if they existed and didn’t cost more than new.

Sorry for being so long winded!
    Thanks so much!
    Maria

#1 daisy555, Feb 26, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
  2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I purchased a 2020 AWDe LE Prius when my 2016 Prius 3 was kamikazed by a deer. The lack of a spare tire bothered me as well (The spare tire well is occupied by the power electronics for the rear axle motor), but I just borrowed (;)) the spare from my 2016 sewed a cover out of towels and keep the spare in the footwell of the back seat. I do miss the heads up display and the lack of either a CD player or Android Auto (I don't do Apple) were almost a deal-breaker. The AWDe drive does help get me up my driveway when it is iced over (even with the poor traction of the OE tires). You will find that the standard safety features of a new Prius (and the Dynamic auto speed control) are systems that you would never want to be without. My wife and I just use Waze on trips and don't miss the built-in GPS (much). We use a portable CD player to play our audio books on trips.

JeffD

daisy555 likes this.
  3. slowmachine

slowmachine Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We’re on our third and fourth Prius, and all have been FWD. I’ve only encountered one situation where AWD would have been a significant advantage. I was forced to parallel park on a hill, with the front end pointing uphill, in the snow. I had quite a time getting out of that space without colliding with the car behind me, but I did make it work with my wife outside telling me how much wiggle room was available. We both have lower-back problems, so we buy the seats with adjustable lumbar support. That rules-out the LE, so we bought a wavy-window 2021 Prime XLE. It lives in the garage when not in use, and dirt accumulation in the dip has not been noticeable. The battery does significantly reduce cargo space. I do all of my shopping in a 2010 Prius IV.

dig4dirt and daisy555 like this.
  4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    We had the dealer use a car interior firm install leather in my spouse's Subaru Crosstrek to get rid of the white interior (now black with red stitching) and adjustable lumbar support. The adder was about $1500 in a larger interior, so that is an option instead of going to a higher trim level which adds features that you may not want to pay for.

JeffD

daisy555 and slowmachine like this.
  5. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What’s the heads up display?

6. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    My speed and some warning messages were projected onto the lower left of the windshield in my 2016 Prius.so I could see them without taking my eyes off the road.

JeffD

daisy555 likes this.
  7. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Speaking as someone from the uk I wouldn’t buy the awd as style is limited due to weight. And if you don’t have the requirement for snow parking I’d go for the best trim you can afford. Trim and equipment changed in 2019 2020 and 2022 models 2016-2019 pretty much are the same besides exterior colour options

daisy555 likes this.
  8. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thank you. Could you clarify what you mean by style is limited due to weight for UK models. Do you mean the weight of the AWD components? AWD is heavier than FWD in UK as well as US right? Maybe that’s why I could feel the bumps on the road more so with the AWD or maybe it’s simply that the Prime has a better suspension.

Sorry I’m a woman who knows just enough about cars to be dangerous. : )

I just test drove an 2022 LE AWD and it wasn’t as comfortable of a ride as the 2022 Prime. Maybe the AWD? Salesman said the Prime is a completely different car.

Also is it my imagination or are the cloth seats less comfortable/supportive than the softex? Not counting the lumbar support which doesn’t really do much for my back. It feels like it’s in the wrong place for me.I do like the electronically adjustable seats of the Prime. So comfy.

#8 daisy555, Feb 26, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
  9. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you!

10. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I had a 2013 Gen 3 Prius Two. I upgraded to a used 2016 Prius Four that had all the packages - moon roof, softex seats, parking sensors, all that jazz. When a deer murder-suicided that one last summer I jumped into a new 2022 Prime XLE

Here's a trim comparison page on toyota's website you can see exactly what differences they throw in with packages and whatnot:
    https://www.toyota.com/prius/features/mpg_other_price/1221/1223/1263

and here's the same for the Prime
    https://www.toyota.com/priusprime/features/mpg_other_price/1235/1237/1239

The prime will still function just like a regular prius if you don't plug it in. I have a 130 mile commute every day and can only charge a home so most of my driving is in HV mode. It gets about the same MPG as a regular Gen 4 Prius in HV mode. There are other reasons to consider a Prime even if you don't plug it in every day - as of now it still qualifies for a $4502 federal tax credit which may be going away later this year if Toyota passes 200k sold PHEVs and it's getting close. You may qualify for state incentives further reducing the price of the car and even a discount on EZPass tolls or use of HOV lanes in some states. Ultimately since I have a garage to charge at home and had enough federal tax liability to fully benefit from the tax credit the Prime made more sense for me.

I believe most northeast dealers are getting AWDs but most window stickers have 50 state emissions listed so I think Toyota doesn't really change it up much? AWD Prius was something I was interested in but there weren't any available for me to test drive at the time. AWDe only comes in LE and XLE trims so you'll miss out on a few things like moon roof. But the XLE does come with a heated leather steering wheel and the 8 way adjustable softex driver seat. (non AWD XLE has a 6 way manual softex apholstered seat). It does mean Limited trim Prius is hard to find in the region if you're looking for top of the line everything.

The seats on my 2022 Prime are more comfortable than the Cloth in my 2013 or even the softext in my 2016. The 2013 and 2016 priuses I had were very uncomfortable on long drives. The prime is much more comfortable in the driver seat. I didn't notice any issues with the softex seats in my 2016 but I only had it for a few years. It started life in Texas and wasn't garaged until I moved in 2019. I didn't notice any staining or bleaching. The steering wheel did bubble and peel which was common with Gen 4 cars. Not sure if it's been fixed.

All Prime trims have heated seats. The Limited has heated steering wheel. The regular prius I think only XLE and Limited have heated seats. The AWDe XLE does have the heated electric drivers seat and a heated steering wheel.

The 11" screen isn't ideal but it's not as terribad as people make it out to be. For regular prius and AWD prius you mostly get a pretty good 7" screen that has android auto and apple carplay. The prime only has the 7" screen in LE trim. XLE and Limited only come with the big screen and it only has Apple Carplay.

Something I don't miss about my 2016 Four is parking sensors. They got covered in road salt, snow, mud, ice all the time during winter and I constantly had warnings to clean them. For most of the winter I drove with ICS turned off.

I do miss not having blind spot monitor on my Prime XLE. It's standard on the regular prius but only available on the Limited trim of the Prime (which comes with parking sensors).

There is no moonroof for the Prime or AWDe priuses.

The car buying market really sucks right now. if you can wait for the dust to settle you may have more options with regard to inventory, options, etc. Many dealers are charging over MSRP for new cars and have long waitlists. If you can find a good deal now and don't have to wait go for it. But less than a year ago Toyota was practically giving away Prius Primes with a $5000 customer cash offer....So things can change quickly. If you can wait it out

jerrymildred and daisy555 like this.
  11. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks so much. I have been studying the comparison charts and really appreciate your highlights. If all goes well, someone else is helping to buy this car for me. It's complicated and not so pleasant circumstances but I'll certainly be grateful if it all works out. I'm sure they would appreciate the tax credit but I don't think I can deal with the Prius Prime's smaller cargo space. I'd love to wait and see the 2023 models but not sure how long this will take. The funding might be time sensitive. I'm not in a rush but the funding is a bit time sensitive. I did just pay for a 12 volt battery yesterday and one head light is starting to flicker. : /

It's weird but the chart says the Prius FWD XLE and Prius Limited both have power adjustable seats with lumbar support and the XLE AWD has manual adjustable seats with no lumbar support. They also come with 17 inch wheels and the AWD does not. I was hoping for as much height as possible due to the annoying low clearance of my very much loved 2009. Apparently the suspension is the same for the Prius LE/XLE/AWD as well as the Prime so maybe it's the tires that were giving a different feel.

I originally wanted the FWD XLE because of the power seats, slightly better gas mileage and larger tires. AWD will involve some compromising. Time and availability will tell.

Thanks again!

12. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With a 25 mile EPA EV range, it would be useless if you could not drive it as a hybrid only. My longest trip was over 6,000 miles and I almost never got to plug it in. Averaged over 56 mpg.

And not accumulating on the high parts as opposed to accumulating all over a flat window. The shape really helps clear the rain from the glass once you're up to about 35 mph or better.

It might. However, if I could not plug in at home, I probably would not have a Prime.

Unless they have improved it, the Softex wheel is the pits. It doesn't age like leather, it doesn't stain, it doesn't breathe. But it does blister, wrinkle, and eventually peel. Sometimes I think about seeing if I can find a regular wheel to install.

You can do either.

What are you hauling??!!!

Not the same. The Prime has a 288 pound battery in the back, which definitely requires some changes. But they do all have the same type of suspension which is a massive improvement over previous generations. Also note that the Prime has slightly less ground clearance in order to help with coefficient of drag. 4.8" in the Prime vs 5.1" in the regular Prius. The AWDe has 5.3".

13. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wanted to be sure it didn’t require being plugged in occasionally for some reason.

yuck to softex steering wheel!

I’m a gardener, a potter and don’t have family or friends with trucks. I can’t imagine keeping that felt piece at the front of the cargo area clean. Plus I use the cargo cover all the time and the 2009 cargo space is just right for the height of most things I might carry around and it’s so easy to keep things clean.

It’s amazing that the Prime gets such good gas mileage in hybrid mode considering that 288 lb battery. One reviewer said the Prime has more pep. I still don’t understand why AWD gets lower MPG since I was told the AWD only kicks in as needed. Maybe the 48MPG average must be including some AWD use. I only need AWD a few days out of the year but as mentioned I’m being told an FWD XLE might take forever to find.

Thanks again!

14. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Daisy,

Don't equate the EPA MPG rating with the MPG that you will actually get. The EPA ratings are based on a formula that penalizes the AWDe Prius for a little extra weight for the electronics and rear motor. My 2020 AWDe is getting about the same MPG as the 2016 Prius 3 that it replaced.

JeffD

daisy555 likes this.
  15. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Ok. Yes I can qualify from uk perspective. Awd cannot be combined with leather seats. Or in USA terms no moonroof (never a uk option) plus awd.
    I run an excel grade (uk) so no awd for me