1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lead-Acid Battery for 12v battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by worrachai, Jan 20, 2016.

1. worrachai

worrachai Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My prius user from Thailand.

I found the service manual that show 12v battery is "lead-Acid Battery". but I heard that everyone recommend to replace them to be Optima Battery(AGM battery).

What kind of original 12v battery from Toyota factory? Lead-Acid or AGM?
    Can I replace it to be Lead-Acid Battery? price is double or triple between AGM with SMF.

Please advise.

2. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    AGM is still a lead-acid battery, but better for most applications.

Given it's size and duties, I'd expect it to be an AGM battery. I think all Toyotas come with AGM batteries now, but I'd need to confirm that.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    For safety, you need an AGM battery with an external. vent, for convenience, you want JIS posts

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    "AGM" means "absorptive glass mat". The electrolyte (sulfuric acid) is held by a glass fibre mat. "Just in case" your car is turned upside down, or on its side. The acid will be held in the mat. The vent is there to prevent any vapours coming out of the battery from entering the cabin. All because the battery is IN the cabin. Yes, it's quite a bit more expensive. No, it doesn't seem to last any longer. But I'm just bitter after having to replace mine after only 3 1/2 years.

The GIV 12V battery is under the hood. That's a $100 savings every 3-5 years when it has to be replaced (because a less expensive non-AGM battery could be used - but I suspect it's still the expensive type even though I haven't seen one yet). See, I'm really bitter. ;)