1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lead Foot Lucy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Skinflint, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Skinflint

Skinflint New Member

I've shopped for two years and lurked for as long on Priuschat.com, GreenHybrid.com and Cleanmpg.com. I was positive that my driving habits would result in excellent results. I read all the articles, tips, guides and experiences. I was thoroughly read up on pulse and glide, warp stealth and coasting techniques and I was prepared to squeeze every drop of gas out of our new baby. We picked her up on July 18th. (All of our cars are "shes"; that is just the way it has always been.) Her name became "Prissy" and she was a beautiful SeasidePearl with just the options that I had hoped for.

To regress a bit, my opposition to Prissy was internal. My wife wanted to shop a less expensive, non-hybrid choice. I played along and test drove a Yaris, Corolla and with some pursusion on my part, a Camery. Two years prior we test drove the Prius and I knew I had to have one. She thought she had me convinced that the hybrid was not worth the extra dollars. I knew if I could talk her up to a Camery the Prius was in the garage. I saved the "real mpg" data from the experts, (YOU) and the moment she moved from the Corolla to the Camery, I pounced! Out came the charts, records and possibilities. It wasn't a cake walk but, I was prepared to hold out until victory was mine. Success! She gave in, thanks to your obtainable mpg results that I showed her. With your help I defeated the false information that had embedded her mind that the EPA mpg figures could not be reached. Without you, I would not be in a Prius today. Thank you.

But wait! My euphoria was short lived. She was going to be the main driver of Prissy and she was a "Lead Foot Lucy"!!! (with music of Psycho in the background). Yes, her driving habits were full of "jack rabbit starts" and "stone wall stops". I loved her anyway. For years I had attempted to change her driving habits to no avail. And now, how could Prissy reach the high mpg with those habits??? I knew I could become a hypermiler but, visions of high twentys and low thirtys started tormenting my mine. NO! All my conviencing would be down the drain if she continued her gas guzzling ways. We would never even come close to the glory of the hypermiler status.

But then something happened. The MFD showed her how to do it. Her habits were instantly changed while she listened to my lesson on pulse and glide and wached the MFD. I showed her the "sweet zone" with no arrows and she picked it up immediately. I was amazed but, the doubts began. "Just wait until she is in Prissy alone", I thought. The mpg will tell. I will know after the first time she drives alone.

She works thirty five miles from home with 10% city, 40% rural, and 50% interstate driving. The first week came in at 54 mpg. I was estatic! The second week her average mileage rose to 56 mpg and just yesterday after mistakenly resetting our average for the first tank of gas, she came home with a 61.0 mpg!!! I also increased the tire psi between her 56mpg and 61 mpg day.

Yahooooo, my lead foot is cured! Prissy and I are very happy. I can fall asleep again with visions of hypermiler levels dancing in my head. Thank each and every one of you for communicating all of your experiences and learned skills to us novices. I look forward to many years of high mpgs and green driving. :D

2. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    That's a great story! Congrats and welcome to the cult...er...family of hybrid goodness. Keep up the great MPG and tell your friends...heck tell the strangers out there, too, even they would be impressed with the Prius.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Prius does have that effect on people. The MFD mileage display was a very clever idea.

Tom

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wait until she starts getting cranky when you drive the car b/c you're messing up her tank MPG....so, when are you ordering your own Prius?!

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    thank you for the post, seeing another enlightened Prius owner always makes my day.

here in the Pacific Northwest we have a morning radio show mainstay, the Bob Rivers Show on KZOK radio. i had unofficially dubbed it the "the radio show of Priuschat" because 2 of the 5 characters on the show drive Priuses.

for an interesting blurb related to your post, go to www.bobrivers.com and listen to the july 9th broadcast. (you can get it on itunes as well, i have a subscription to the show. it runs 6 AM to 10 PM monday thru friday. so in most cases, that is the only way i hear the show. and without commercials as well!!) they also talk about how the Prius lets you know what it likes and dislikes. it made me chuckle and i think most here will feel the same. the blurb happens near the beginning in the first 5 mins i believe.

6. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm curious as to how Lead Foot........er, I mean Lucy feels about the car now? Yes, you're ecstatic, but she's the one driving it all the time. Is she now a convert? I'm guessing so.

Maybe I need a Lead Foot Lucy to bump me beyond my typical 53 MPG. My cat's name is Lucy. Maybe I'll put her in the car with me.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What a great story. Congrats on all fronts.

I have a friend who traded his obscenely over-sized vehicle for a smaller car. The one thing that he noticed right away was the instantaneous mileage read-out. I think he can toggle to tank average, but it's nothing fancy. That one thing more than anything else completely changed the way he drives. He used to IM me with his daily commute results.

It's true that you can tell people things but some will never get it until they see it and live it.

I hope it never dies. Furthermore, I hope you get to drive it every once and a while.

8. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Jul 31 2007, 11:20 AM) [snapback]488100[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the Bob Rivers link! I have 5 of his Xmas CD'sand can't wait to listen to the stuff on the site!

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(N_IL_Priusfan @ Jul 31 2007, 11:11 AM) [snapback]488182[/snapback]</div>
    hey no problem. more than willing to turn anyone on to them. cant tell you how many times they have brought a smile to my face during some of my darkest moments.

10. chuck kershner

chuck kershner New Member

An interesting story. I have not seen anything above 52 mpg and with 9,200 miles on an '06 Prius, a 650 mile round-trip to New Hampshire and back (from Central New York) this past weekend the average was 49 mpg, with both my wife and I alternating driving. This included NY Thruway and a lot of winding, twisting, steep mountainous terrain with long, steep, winding, twisting downhill coasting, coupled with breath-takingly hot and humid temperatures to keep our ICE nice and warm for so-called maximum mileage. Oh yes, almost forgot: in our first tank or two, we also got some fab mpg. Our spirits rose as quickly as the average mileage, then deflated as mileage began to trend downward. Only after we passed 7,000 miles has the MFD registered a consistent 40-50 mile range. Hopefully, your Prius will continue to get 60-plus to the gallon forever. Good luck and safe driving.