1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lead times?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by aminorjourney, Jan 29, 2007.

1. aminorjourney

aminorjourney Mum to two prius!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Everyone!

Well, we're back from the dealer. A deposit has been paid for a Glacier Blue 07 TSpirit which we'll be getting later on in the week.

Yes, that's later on this week. Apparently we chose a colour which takes less than a week to ship out from the warehouse.

It seems that the UK lead times are much much shorter than those I've heard of in the states, where people wait months for their Prius. Is it true? We drove a 2006 model Prius on the east coast a few weeks ago and it pushed our minds to getting one when we got back to the UK. The funny thing is that the UK 06 wasn't the same as the US 06. Turns out the finish in the UK 07 is like the finish in the US 06. Only we don't have keyless entry - which sucks.

Anyway we're soon to join the Prius Crowd. Where can we get those "This is our gas guzzler" stickers? Our other road-worthy car is an EV and our previous two gas-guzzlers (a '65 morris minor and a 92 Honda Prelude) are both destined for EV status too!

Nikki and 'MeriKate.

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aminorjourney @ Jan 29 2007, 04:34 PM) [snapback]382436[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to the site. There seem to be lots of Prii sitting on the lots now. Demand was artificially accelerated this summer due to the expiring tax credit. Cheaper gas may have hurt sales and higher production increased inventory. Enjoy.

3. scoot

scoot Member

The wait in the U.S. is over, at least in many parts of the US. People are getting good deals now and having a large inventory from which to choose. Production went up, tax credits went down, and at least in California, the prospect (incentive) of getting a carpool lane sticker is vanishing this month if it hasn't already vanished. Supply/demand has tipped in the other direction finally.

4. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    In the US, they don't get to actually order a car from the factory like we do - they or their dealer has to hunt around to find one of suitable spec being delivered in the region. You can only buy what's in stock... :blink: Looks like you were lucky and they had one in stock anyway. We had to wait 4 months back in 2004...

I think the new-spec Prius was introduced in early 2006 in the UK, a few months after the US. It's always very confusing when Americans talk about buying a "2006 Prius" in 2005.

5. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aminorjourney @ Jan 29 2007, 04:34 PM) [snapback]382436[/snapback]</div>
    You mean keyless is better? Not sure if I agree with that although admittedly I've never had a keyless car but from what I've seen about problems with keyless on PriusChat I'm glad I've got a fob I have to stick in a hole on the dashboard when I set off.

(Do you use American English because you originated in the US or because you think that's the language of PriusChat or simply because you've recently visited the USA?)

6. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Sunday LA paper had an ad for 0% financing, and said they had 35 on the lot, both standard, and Touring models. Things certainly have changed from a year ago, when I had to drive to a dealer 50 miles away, and had only 2 color choices. I refused to play the "waiting game".

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Jan 30 2007, 07:39 AM) [snapback]382786[/snapback]</div>
    The only downside I see to keyless, is if you lose it, and the replacement and re-program costs. Other than that, what other problems are there? In 1 year and 25,000 miles I've had zero problems with it, except when my wife thought she lost her fob, which we later located. :unsure:

7. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Jan 30 2007, 12:34 PM) [snapback]382950[/snapback]</div>
    SKS seems to be a contributor to dead 12v batteries from the many posts on this site. There was also a recent post where the SKS switch was accidently turned off and the car had to be towed. It is a great system as long as the operator realizes it's limitations. (Reading the owners manual helps too)

OH Yea, SKS is addictive.

8. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Jan 30 2007, 07:39 AM) [snapback]382786[/snapback]</div>
    The number of Prius owners who have experienced problems with the Smart Key System is statistically insignificant. I will never buy another car which does not have a keyless entry and start system.

9. aminorjourney

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Jan 30 2007, 03:39 PM) [snapback]382786[/snapback]</div>

Hi Oxo!

I did like the ease of starting in the US prius. I really liked the idea you didn't have to put the key in the lock to open the car or to start it.

As for the US english - my mum is Canadian and my girlfriend is American - her name is Kate but as we have several Kates in our group of friends we call her 'MeriKate (or American Kate). We've been together for three years and I've picked up some American phrases - and she's picked up some British ones. My accent is normally fairly neutral British but I'm originally from Norfolk. Kate speaks with a generic East American Accent but occasionally comes out with Norfolk phrases.

We're just a pair of dialect challenged girls! :D

Back to the Prius waiting list. We picked up the car yesterday (Saturday) so only waited six days from order to pickup. In fact, the garage only ordered the car on Tuesday since we visited the dealer last thing on Monday evening.

There doesn't seem to be that many Priuses in our City - certainly not the number there were in Greater Washington DC last time we visited. I think the HOV lane exemption had something to do with that. Bristol hasn't adopted any special treatment for EV or HEV drivers yet.

Nikki.

10. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aminorjourney @ Feb 4 2007, 02:51 PM) [snapback]385198[/snapback]</div>
    I think that applies to the whole of Europe. I hardly ever see another one.

Make sure you lock your car every night. This ensures that all interior lights, etc are switched off so you're less likely to find the 12V battery flat in the morning.

11. aminorjourney

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Feb 5 2007, 03:52 PM) [snapback]385539[/snapback]</div>

Hehe No worry about locking it. I don't think either of us are willing to forget to lock it - it was too blinking expensive!