1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leaking inverter

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by maddawoo, Aug 13, 2013.

1. maddawoo

maddawoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all.

My inverter has a small leak in it. I had my car at the dealer back in April after I replaced the HV battery pack with one from Re-Involt and they topped off my inverter fluid then but now it's back down to "low." What type of fluid is that, where can I buy more, and more importantly, is there a way to fix the leak in the inverter without replacing the whole sh-bang? The leak is on the bottom part of the inverter, seem like it is near the seal. Check the pic I've attached...

Attached Files:

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The type of fluid is Toyota Super Long Life Coolant available for purchase at the dealer. Of course the leak can be fixed. Although your picture does seem to indicate that the leak is at the gasket, I would look directly above that for the leak as well (it may be dripping/spraying from the bleed hose). I would open the hood after driving it for a while and try to see the leak in action. The last thing I'd want to do is take the inverter top off but, you may end up having to. I'm just trying to picture how fluid residue would get where it is from the inverter seal leaking???? The fluid would have to travel against gravity to leave that stain (which is possible since it would be exiting the seal under pressure but unlikely). The most likely culprit is the bleed hose fitting, the hose itself or the bleed screw. Look there first. Good luck.