1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leaking Transaxel Seal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Fred14, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Fred14

Fred14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Recently I had wheel bearing changed which then resulted in a chipped tooth on something the speed sensor reads and then the axel changed to remedy that. Now I have a leaky trans axel seal. I suspect the axel was removed and or installed without due care.

I would say the dealer owes me a new seal etc, no charge.

Anyone have or hear of leaky after axel changes?

Real question: Right now the car is on 6 inch front ramps and I am waiting for a 24 MM socket to open the transmission fluid fill plug. I want to try and see how much leaked out and then decide if I should have it towed (AAA) or drive it to the dealer.

Any advice on how low it is still safe to drive?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would just top it up and then drive to the dealership. Keep in mind the car should be level to check the level, and to get it right when topping up. If you can get a hold of a floor jack and raise the rear to get the car roughly level, that'd work. Best would be to work safe, put safety stands under the rear scissor jack points and settle the rear onto them.

I just had an transmission seal replaced on a Civic, it's not a trivial job, but not crazy hard, should be around $300 at most?

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When the half-shaft was removed/replaced, the transaxle case seal should have been replaced as a matter of course. It costs very little.

Was that service offered to you? Did you decline that service?

The transaxle fluid level must be full before the car is driven.