1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leaking windshield

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bill Lumbergh, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went out to my Prius today to get lunch and as I was pulling out of my spot it decided to dump about 30 mL of water on my leg. The water was dripping from the headliner at the left front corner of the sunglasses holder. When I made a quick left turn it dumped on me again.

Looks like my windsheild decided to delaminate from the frame, which allowed ice/snow to get trapped in the gap, which melted all over me as the temps rose to a balmy 35.

This is going to be a real PITA to get fixed at the dealer, especially with the hours I'm working.

I guess While I'm there they can fix the rattle from the trim panel by the passenger "tiny window".

:(

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That sucks.
    I have nothing really to add. Only that it sucks. :(

3. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    The oddest Prius repair problem I've heard of. Did moose kick your car?

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    whoa.. that's something new. I guess it couldn't have been frozen condensed vapour that was on the underside of the roof that melted eh?

5. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, maybe it was...... I'm going to watch it for the next few days to see if it leaks again. Since it's again above 35 degrees today, I think I'll hit the carwash to see if i can make it leak. Hours or days of lost Prius time is not acceptable for the dealer attention that may be required.

6. Deke68

Deke68 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had the same issue in almost the exact same spot after a heavy night of rain. I don't notice it leaking in the car wash. I hear they will have to pull the windshield off and replace the weather stripping. Anybody know if this is true?

7. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you have a sunroof, then most often one or both of the drains is clogged. The sunroof panel doesn't seal perfectly- there is a little water trough or gutter underneath the edges of the panel with two drains- one in each front corner. You can see them if the sunroof is open- they are 8-10mm in diameter and dirt or tree debris can build up at the hole or further down the drain tube. Occasionally the tube will detach from the sunroof and leak.

If you don't have a sunroof, then yes, the windshield seal is pretty much the only other possibilty for a leak overhead (unless there's a hole in your roof). The rubber part around the edge of the glass is just a moulding- the windshield is secured and sealed with an adhesive that would have to be removed and reapplied.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.