1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leaky driver's door

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Lola'05, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Lola'05

Lola'05 New Member

Ever since I have have had Lola...that is coming up on 2 years, she has had this problem of standing water on the step sill of the driver's door every time it rains or if I give her a bath. I have mentioned it to Conicelli Toyota when I take her in for routine maintenace, and they say they can't reproduce it with spraying. One night, I had to leave her, and it rained like a son of a gun, and they did admit that they found water where I said they would. They didn't make any recommendations and because of time constraits, I didn't push it.

Now we are coming up on two years, and she still has the same problem. I set up an appointment today for an inspection and routine maintenance. I mentioned the water problem to the service scheduler and he said that , " well, that is the way the car was designed. As long as the carpet isn't getting wet, then you are OK". I responded with " Then the other three doors in the car aren't working properly. Because they don't leak".

OK, I need some numbers here... when I go in for service on 6-29-07...how many of you Prius owners have water leaks on your doors ?

Besides that, I am a very happy Prius owner. Maybe not so happy about Conicelli's service department.

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never had a water leak problem with my 04. Take it to a different dealer. I use Tri County in Limerick. They have been very good.

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lola'05 @ Jun 11 2007, 04:51 PM) [snapback]459807[/snapback]</div>
    If you want some numbers, add a poll to your post.

Does your driver door leak?
    * Yes
    * No

4. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe I am off base here as I do not know the setails of the Prius body construction but most cars I have seen have "body drains" located at several points along the sides of a vehicle. If you get inderneath and look up you can usually see where the body is welded together along the bottom side of the car but at several points you will also see little "flanged" or "spread" or "split" areas that liik like little slits... This is where the upper manufacturer pinholes drain down and come out.

Sometimes a little grit or dust gets into the drains and they clog up resulting in water leakage even though all windows are up and all seals appear fine.

The best way I have found to clean these drains (if you do not have a compressor) is with a long plastic tie wrap pushed up from the bottom.

You could have a partially plugged drain which simply slows to water coming out that may over run inside the jam. I have no idea of this is actually happening but it is relatively common on all cars. Ypu may want to take a few minutes and investigate it as many people looking for leaks forget to check the body drains as they are actually looking for "leaks"...

5. DougSlug

DougSlug Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I am inclined to believe it's a design issue. I have the same problem, and it was like that from the get-go. I ignored it since it wasn't getting past the door seal into the cabin.

- Doug