1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

leaky trans= great dealer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cliffdvr, Dec 8, 2006.

1. cliffdvr

cliffdvr New Member

Hey all, I'm new here... you have a great site with lots of information.
    I would like to give account of a positive experiance I had with a local dealership.
    I had to take my 06 in to the dealership (Avondale Toyota) for a small transmission fluid leak. Turned out to be a deformed transmission to axel seal on the left side. They had to order the seal, so they gave me a loaner car to drive. They had to keep my car for two days waiting on the parts. But they got it back together and got me back on the road with NO out of pocket expense. Everything was covered under warranty, even the loaner car. I didn't even have to refill the loaner with gas.
    And the mechanic came out and showed me what he did and answered all of my questions (and was cool about it).

And on a different note. Thanks for all the information on the Prius... I've been lurking for months.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sorry one of your first posts had to be about a problem, but it's good to give good dealers a review so others can find them.

Welcome to PriusChat and start posting more! :)

3. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Welcome! I'm glad your car is fine now, and that you've got a good dealer. I agree this is a great sight with great people - keep on posting!

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    sounds like all the traits of a good dealer. write that tech's name down and ask for him next time too since he was so willing to talk to you. believe it or not that's a rarity! and welcome to the site!

5. cbs4

cbs4 Member

The issue you had with your driver's side output seal is not unusual.

In fact, yours is the fourth such incident I've read about today.

It happened to me also, and I thought it was merely a fluke. Check under your hybrid transaxle (HSD, PSD, not sure what the official Prius Chat acronym is) for a concentration of dirt under the case just to the right of the inboard CV joint, where the driver's side axle stub shaft exits the case.

A concentration of dirt and wetness at the bottom of and toward the back of the case (the fluid has a reddish tone) indicates a leak that is spread by blowback and of course oil attracts dirt.

Better to check now, while the car is still under warranty, so that you don't have to pay for the repair yourself when the issue becomes more noticeable. Early dectection can only be done with the car lifted somewhat, either on ramps, a lift, or with jacks combined with jack stands.

Enough warranty repairs might cause Toyota to take a closer look at what is going on in the car's production that is damaging these seals, if they haven't already.

6. cliffdvr

cliffdvr New Member

The mechanic said that the driver's side output seal that he replaced was just a bit warped. Like it was installed at the wrong angle. He was going to send it into toyota so they can investigate and create a data base.
    He also said that it was the second one that he had replaced, ever. So I got the impression that it is going to be a one time problem.
    Maybe a future recall?