1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LEARNING HOW TO USE ALL

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by KENSTOLLER, Nov 19, 2005.

1. KENSTOLLER

KENSTOLLER New Member

HI GUYS!!! I OWN A 2005 PRIUS FOR AROUND ONE MONTH AND LOVE IT!!!...IS THERE ANY TUTORIAL DVD AROUND--THAT CAN HELP A NEWBIE, USE THE NAVIGATION AND COMPUTER SYSTEM??...I HAVE TRIED TO READ MOST OF THE BOOKS ...AND THE DEALER REALLY CANNOT HELP ME MUCH....IT'S A FASCINATING SYSTEM AS WE ALL KNOW...BUT HELP!!...

2. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Hiya Ken -- I don't have my Prius yet so can't help on the electronics question.

It is very hard to read the all caps typing -- you will notice that no one else uses all caps for that reason. It is considered "shouting". If you have the time, you can edit your post to include lower case and I am sure it will help you get more response from everyone. :)

Congratulations on your new Prius with nav :p

3. KENSTOLLER

KENSTOLLER New Member

I AM NOT SHOUTING!!..I JUST USE CAPS....

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Howdy Ken

There is an online DVD for the Lexus NAV system which I found helpful. The Lexus NAV system is the same as your Prius; however, the dash buttons are different on the Prius. This works much better if you have a broadband connection (like DSL or Cable).

http://www.lexus.com/models/es/interior.html#dvd

You will also find a lot of helpful information on John's site:

http://john1701a.com/

Ever since the old days of the Bulletin Boards, all caps have been SHOUTING.!! You would do well on these forums to learn to use UPPER/lower case. It's a little more trouble, but some or many forum participants just believe you are shouting or just too lazy to type properly.

5. darwin100

darwin100 New Member

you can do an online navigation system tutorial by going to the lexus tutorial it is the same system...the rest is really not difficult to figure out once you get the hang of the nav system.

6. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As Charles pointed out, you'd be better of not using CAPS as it is annoying and considered shouting, whether you are intending it that way or not.

I now just think your lazy.

2 things I'd suggest. RTFM and play with it. Those are the 2 best ways to learn.

7. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    As I posted last time Ken was here, caps don't faze me. Misspelling and chronic problems like "it's" for "its" bother me more. But I know that's because I'm an ex-teacher, so I never complain about those.

Life's too short.

8. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Ken, before learning to use the electronics in the Prius, you should learn to type without using all caps. Do you scream instead of talking as well? It's quite offensive.

Nate

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    my dad used to do the same thing until i showed him how to enlarge his fonts.

10. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Unfortunately there's no Prius For Dummies. In addition to the links Charles Suitt mentioned, there's also http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius_FAQ That will tell you things like how to override the NAV defeat (while the car is in motion).

11. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Hot damn, aaf! Quick! You write half, I'll write half. So what if what we write is nothing more than a compilation of everything others have already written (john 1701a, Graham, FAQs, Owner's Manual, etc.) Just marketing it with that title and a yellow cover will automatically net us enough to buy our next three Priuses!

We can even have it translated into Norwegian, so BOTH Norwegian Prius owners can buy it. :p

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think its a great book idea.

13. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Honestly Ken, I don't care about the caps or not. And I don't think you are shouting. Then again, I can easily type 85+ wpm so for me using proper capitalization as much as possible is something I'm just used to. Imagine me in an IM session with a friend. My stuff looks like I'm writing a manuscript and their is full of those annoying abreviations, etc.

Anyway, the car is pretty easy to use. Best way to learn a new system, as I share with my friends and acquantiances, is to use it. Play around with the nav system, get to know how it works, have it do strange stuff, plot routes to place you don't intend to go to and see how it reroutes. Ask it dinner suggestions and see what it offers you. Just play with it and go from there.

14. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

Ahh, but reading The Prius That Shook The World is more than ample material for becoming one with the Prius. Read that book and you will be able to drive and operate any Gen I, II, III, IV prius and all of the features.

15. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I don't like mis-applications of words. For example, I went to their house to see if they're OK over there.
    One of the slides for a song we sing at church has the wrong 'there/their/they're'. Just bugs me.

16. tag

tag Senior Member

I here you their, Dan!

17. Traanya Drinker

Traanya Drinker New Member

LOL Maytrix, you make me laugh....RTFM...you're killin' me... :lol:

18. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Don't loose your breaks! (Must I reopen the thread?).

;-)

Nate

19. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I like caps, keep it up!

20. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't find cap annoying, I dont consider it shouting. Incidently shouting is shouting. Anybody critisizing this very enthusiastic NEW Prius owner is acting extremely childish and putting an unnecessary damper on his enthusiasm.