1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lease Question: Late May\Early June????

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by archieg, Apr 17, 2011.

1. archieg

archieg New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I see that Prius demand is increasing, as is the price, and the supply is (unfortunately) decreasing, due to the tragedy in Japan.

Living in Los Angeles, practically every car someone in the family has gotten has been from a leasing office. Given this Prius fiasco, I called them up and asked them what the prices are. They told me you can't lease it for less than $300 per month.

My Accord lease finishes up on I believe June 1st. (if not June 2nd). I HAVE to get a Prius at all costs.

My question is, will the Prius price stabilize a little bit? Or will it get worse? Because part of me thinks Memorial Day deals will kick up, while another part says that prices will just get higher (given the increase in gas costs and all).

Thank you!

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You may want to consider purchasing your car instead of leasing it.
    I don't lease, and there are about 10,000 variables that you have to pencil out to see if leasing is the way to go for you----and it's been working for you up to now.

However (comma!)
    Prius prices are up, and there is a short supply of them...especially out on the left coast. I'm thinking that it would thus take a longer period of time, or a larger number of miles driven to recoup the higher price for the car---unless you're not worried about cost-per-mile, and you "HAVE to get a Prius at all costs" simply because you're smitten with the car.
    I don't know all the ins and outs of leasing, but I presume that longer ownership and/or high miles during the lease period aren't going to make this an inexpensive car to drive in the short term...at least not comparatively. I'm just suggesting that you sharpen a pencil, do some arithmetic gymnastics and consider purchasing a G3 and keeping it for a while so that you can let it repay your initial higher purchase price with it's higher MPG, and its lower (hopefully!) maintenance costs.

Good luck!

One thing is for sure. If you go to the leasing company and tell them that you gotta have a Priius, they'll find a way to hook you up! :D

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    prices have completely changed in a few short months, but i doubt you will see them go down anytime soon. you would be better served sooner than later. supply will be the issue rather than price. between rising fuel prices and japan tragedy, it's not likely to get better for quite a while. all the best!

4. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Typically, Memorial Day timing has been pretty good for deals.
    But, in context with REAL life right now, no big push for things on Memorial Day.
    Mother Nature not knowing a holiday was coming and creating the quake and tsunami which wiped out some suppliers and in some cases, suppliers of suppliers. It's all inter-connected.

I'd say : why wait.
    Get it before the pricing increase hits and things get worse for fuel and even worse for demand.

5. jerman2020

jerman2020 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    First of all, here's some good news for you:

Used car prices are at record highs right now, so your Honda Accord lease buyout price is almost certainly below market value.

This means you can make some money off your lease that you can put towards the purchase or lease of a Prius. You could be looking at an additional $1,000 to $2,000 possibly.

Now, about your concern regarding the prices going up.
    Here's an interesting article by the CEO of Edmunds showing that people may have overreacted to the supply/demand issue.

The article says that a lot of people have stopped considering buying Japanese cars because they think everyone else is pushing the prices up.

(sorry, the forum won't allow me to post a link to the article cause I don't have enough posts under my belt)

I have heard of people still getting good deals on the Prius. You just have to take the time to call multiple dealers.

Good luck