1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lease questions

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Skoorbmax, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1) If I have a lease negotiated to $200/month for 36 months, that's $7200. If I want to pay enough money in so that my payments are $0 do I have to pay $7200 or would it be less? When buyinga car & financing it any money used as a down payment is less that is financed (you pay interest on the borrowed amount). However, for a lease does the money factor apply to the entire lease amount/depreciation of vehicle regardless of how much additional money you bring to the table?

2) Buy a $24k car, drive it off the lot and it's totaled. Insurance will give you, say $22,500 since you lost $1500 driving it off the lot. I assume this is the same on a lease, right? I saw advice, which I believe fallacious, against bringing money to the table with a lease because if you lack gap insurance and it totals out the insurance will give you only value equal to the 3-year depreciated value (say $16k)+whatever you owe. So, if you paid all up front and drove off the lot and totaled it you'd end up eating thousands. This makes no sense but I wanted to check for sure!