1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leasing in CA or PA?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Obespalov, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Obespalov

Obespalov Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm moving from Philly to San Diego next month, and I'm trying to get rid of two cars to get a Prius. I think my preference would be to lease it in PA and then transport in to CA. But are there any benefits to leasing a Prius in CA instead?

2. Faraday

Faraday New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You should check with the California DMV before you do this - I know that at least several years ago it was very expensive to bring a new car into CA - you had to pay a "fine" or what the sales tax would have been in CA or something like that...they did this because they wanted to protect their CA car dealers, so they basically discouraged anyone from buying a new car out of state and then bringing it right into CA. I don't know if they are still doing this or not. Also, CA has different emission standards and there can be problems/extra costs there too - I do not know if all 2010 Prius' are CA emission certified. Look before you leap! Good Luck!

3. eyePod

eyePod Classic Silver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I moved to California from another state and I would recommend you dispose of your cars in PA, move to CA, buy in CA. Why? No $$ for transporting cars and no hassle with CA DMV

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, all Prius are CARB certified. I'd get the new car in CA & sell the old ones before moving.

5. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I used to live in California after a move from Buffalo to LA in 1980. When I went to register the car at the CA DMV office I had to pay for the Value in Tax. Not to mention the registration fee's which were astronomical at that time.

And depends on your lease company if you can take the car to another state. Some restrictions are in place depending on the company.

I would think selling in PA may be the best choice, and then purchasing in CA once your in San Diego. This way it's a smoother transition for sure.

Good Luck on your relo. Wish I was relocating back to LA from this cold. But family care(Parents) came first.