1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leasing questions

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Electric Charge, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So I just leased a PIP (first time lease), and the dealer offered me GAP at $15/month and was also talking about damage protection (so I don't have to pay any penalties in case they find some paint damage).

My insurance company doesn't offer GAP, so I'm checking with my credit union, but what about the damage insurance. Is this something I can get cheap somewhere else?

Any other things I should be aware of with a Toyota Financial lease? I have until Monday morning to make any changes to the Lease.

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Congrats on the new ride--enjoy.

When I leased my Prius, the dealer wanted a lot (like yours) for GAP, so I got it from my insurance company (Allstate, for $24 / 6 months--so $48 / year vs. the $180 the dealer wanted to charge you--just a data point for your shopping).

I wouldn't bother with the damage insurance--based on the lease end brochure (attached below) it doesn't seem like TFS will nickle-and-dime you to death at lease end (although I can't say for sure until I turn my Prius in).

Attached Files:

3. Electric Charge

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the info, appreciate it!

4. Electric Charge

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So I called AllState, and the agent told me that they don't carry GAP insurance, only Banks offer it. :confused:

5. terpsmandan

terpsmandan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    TFS residuals historically have been lower than the NADA used car retail value. I work for a Toyota dealer and people come in all the time and buy out their leases at the end because of that. I think that the $17600 residual will be very low against the book in three years.