1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Least Expensive new traction battery cost in Houston?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Overworked9000, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Overworked9000

Overworked9000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a few quotes of $2500 and one at $2100 (AutoNation )but they won't refund the core charge for 6 weeks.
    Anybody have a good lead?

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The cheapest new packs from Toyota are right around $2100 plus $1350 core charge. Most dealers won't sell them directly to you, but some will. The $2100 price is a great price, and if you have a place locally that can get that to you I'd go for it. You're usually looking at $2500-$2800 for the pack plus the $1350 core, and again only if they sell it to you. The parts are given a suggested price by Toyota, but all the dealerships are their own independent little stores free to set the price whereever they want.

I believe there have been a few employee purchase prices that get a 10% or 15% discount on that price, but if you're not an employee or friends with one, unlikely you'll go lower.

As of now, that's the only option for a new battery. There's no reason you won't get your core back, it just takes time for Toyota to send a cheque to the dealer, so this particular dealer apparently wants to make sure the payment comes in.

3. coolioe93

coolioe93 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a brand new battery from toyota installed from Hometown Hybrids for 2400 last month. They come to you and the install takes about an hour. New battery has a 1 year warranty from toyota and also a 3 year warranty from Hometown Hybrids but I expect it to last 8-10 years just like the battery that came with the car when it was bought new.

fotomoto likes this.
  4. Overworked9000

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I gather that the warranty is not through Toyota at all. I asked them about the Toyota warranty for new battery and they told me the warranty goes through them, not Toyota. That with the fact that it is rather difficult to confirm the cells are new makes me hesitant.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's correctly incorrect. the battery is warranted one year by toyota, but if it goes bad in the first year, texas hybrids does the labor for free and puts in another new one from toyota, all at no charge.
    i'm not sure what they do in years 2 and 3, but it is still free to you. you'd have to ask them if they repair it or what.
    however, it's almost moot, because very, very few new batteries go bad.

6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You have got to be kidding me.

Hometown hybrids is one of the most trustworthy, honest hybrid battery installers out there.

If you request.the full details about your battery I'm sure they will fill you in.
    I bet they would even be willing to show you the date codes on your batteries. You can decode it yourself if you really want to.

As far as new Toyota batteries go...
    When Toyota sells new batteries over the counter they only provide a 1 year/12,000 mile warranty.
    Even though it is the EXACT SAME BATTERY they give their own dealerships a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty.

The fact that Hometown Hybrids is willing to take the extra 2 year warranty on themselves exemplifies they commitment to customers.

Even if Hometown Hybrids weren't the cheapest, I would choose them every time due to their knowledge and professionalism.

7. Overworked9000

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I did inquire about proof the modules were new and they only offered a video of "the" battery being assembled. Nothing was offered regarding date codes. They also strictly said that the warranty was through them and not Toyota. I'd like to believe you, but I'm not interested and harassing anyone over their product. I gave a pretty simple request.

As far as honorable business owners in this area. After and during the hurricane I've seen quite a few supposedly honorable owners go out of the way to price gouge and participate in other corrupt practices.

8. Overworked9000

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five

Texas hybrids is a different company

9. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As an honest person, if I tell someone it is new... it is because it is new. No other proof needed.

I told you that you could look at the date codes when it gets installed because I thought that might help you feel more at ease.
    I have never had anyone ask me for the date codes, since they trust me. But hey if it helps you, then do it.

I understand you aren't interested in harassing anyone over their product, but you need to be more clear if someone has not fully answered your questions. They won't know if you are silent.

Identify exactly what you want when you ask Hometown Hybrids what you need to confirm that it is new and I bet you will get it.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    whoops, sorry. hometown hybrids is a member here, and i don't recall any complaints.

11. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Texas hybrids is another reputable rebuilder as well.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed.

i do like the way they put everything on their website.

13. Overworked9000

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I was very clear, I told them I had concerns that I would be out of their service area later and inquired whether or not I could still get the warranty for the 1st year at Toyota. They said no, they handle all of the warranty claims and Toyota had nothing to do with it.

I asked for proof about the modules being new and they took almost all morning and afternoon to get back with me with that supposed video offering of my new pack being assembled. I just bought a new pack from a dealer that was already pre-assembled, go figure.

So basically, I got at minimum half effort response to the 2 questions I asked. They either don't need or want my business or need to find someone new to communicate for them. At the very least, I would expect a Toyota warranty for the 1st year, considering it is supposedly new battery from a dealer and especially I am paying more than what a dealer charges.

Reputation can go a long way usually, but here in the South there is good ole' boy syndrome. People talk big about being decent and honest, have friends vouch for them, and just when you look into it they are crooked as they come.

#13 Overworked9000, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    johnnyb588 likes this.
  14. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You bought a pack from the dealer across the counter? And then you installed it yourself?

Or did you buy it and had them install it.

If they installed it, it likely did not come assembled. The dealer tech assembled it. In most cases they would have used your old computer parts. (not new ones).

Unless of course it was a fully built used one, which Toyota has sold in the past. But unlikely you would be able to get one in Texas.

It would be interesting to hear more about your situation.

SFO likes this.
  15. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Usually they're not fully assembled. You have to open it up and swap a few components like the HV ECU

16. Overworked9000

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Bought it over the counter. They were impressed enough that I brought the core to them and showed them the safety switch. The new one had an ECU in it.

I am a little concerned though since it appears to have been sitting 6 months somewhere from the shipping received date. I have not installed it. The voltage reads 235. They told me I could take it back since they didn't realize it was that old.

I really hate this. Is there anything I should look for to signify it's rebuilt?

Edit: -84 is listed on the part number. F** A***
    Edi2: They did not invoice me for a -84 part. Thieves.

#16 Overworked9000, Sep 11, 2017
  17. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <EDITED because wrong>

While sitting for 6 months is not ideal, on a nice brand new battery that was charged well before it sat, it should still be fine. And after 6 months of sitting there, if there were any bad modules, they would be easy to spot!

If it says G9510-47031-84 then it is refurbished. The "84" is the important part. There was an "84 pack" sold in 2016 to a member on this forum that had year H cells in it, meaning from 2006.

#17 2k1Toaster, Sep 11, 2017
  18. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yep, that's a refurb most likely done by KBI. Not new. If you can get a picture of the serials on the modules, you can find out when they were made. It is still very possible they are new. A refurb pack means it could be anything from 10+ years old to made earlier in the same year. A new pack means it is new and will always be new. An 84 pack should be $700-$800 cheaper from the dealer.

Did it come in the big giant yellow metal case thing with the alien looking spikes? The size of a coffee table?

19. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Before you return it help out the community a bit with some pics.

Specifically remove the lid (if you can) and take pics of the date codes on the modules.

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  20. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not? People buy Dorman packs and don't need Techstream to get them to function in their vehicles, right. Or do they?

SFO likes this.