1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leather for '05 Prius in San Francisco Bay Area

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ehuna, Apr 21, 2006.

1. ehuna

ehuna Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We just bought our family's third Prius this weekend - my wife just got a brand new 2006 loaded with packahe #8. We now have a 2002, a 2005 and a 2006 in the family.

I really like the leather in my wife's Prius and would like to add leather to my 2005.

My local dealer wants $1495, which seems a bit much. I saw some posts about folks getting it done for $900, but no one mentioned where.

Did anyone add leather to their Prius in the San Francisco Bay Area? Can you recommend someone (it doesn't have to be a Toyota dealer)?

Thanks,

Emmanuel :blink:

2. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I added leather; two-tone with perforated leather in the center of the seats. My car is Tidelands and the leather I had done is tan and dark graphite. It looks perfect with the car. I also added heated seats. The total was 1,790.00. The leather was 1,295.00, done by Coach Automotive Restyling in Union City, 510.487.1377. They did a terrific job and everyone who sees it loves it. Good luck.

To see pictures, go to the Members Photo Gallery, page 2, look for my name, Cairo94507.

3. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Nice. Your installation appears to be free of the wrinkles that seem to plague a lot of other aftermarket leather installations. Looks very much like original equipment.

4. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507 @ Apr 22 2006, 06:34 AM) [snapback]243579[/snapback]</div>
    Cairo:
    DId you go to Coach Automotive directly, or go through Fremont Toyota?
    According to Ricky Hirose of Fremont Toyota, the Coach Automotive don't deal with individuals. I sent them emails without any response either.
    I am thinking about adding the leather also. Love your alloy wheels! :)

5. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I went to Coach directly, no problem at all. Did not buy my car from Fremont either. This is a great and is as good as Toyota would do if they did leather in 2005.

6. bicyclekitty

bicyclekitty New Member

This is my first post - so if this posts funny, my apologies.

Hi Cairo -

Your leather seats look great! I'm thinking of mine done, too, and fortunately there is Coach location in southern CA. Couple of questions ... is the whole thing in leather, or are there vinyl in parts? (like the back?). Did you also have the center console, and arm rests on the door done, too? How long did you have to part w/ your car for the install?

I have '06 package #3, Super White - the leather would just take it over the top for me!

Thanks,
    Naomi

7. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Naomi-
    They had the car for one day - they do a lot of Prius learther replacements so they have the patterns and pre-make the covers. It is all leather and they also do the console and door arm rests. Basically, anything cloth is redone in leather except the headliner. Terrific job, great people and not have a single problem.

8. bicyclekitty

bicyclekitty New Member

Thanks, Cairo. Looks like I will be paying Coach down here a visit....

Naomi

9. markmdr

markmdr New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bicyclekitty @ May 1 2006, 11:35 AM) [snapback]248063[/snapback]</div>

I am also in search of a place to have my '05 prius leathered similar to Cairo's... Please let me know if you do decide to have it done in Coach here in So. Cal. and if you think they would be worth or atleast do a good job. I will also let you know if I come across of another place, then maybe we could compare.

10. bicyclekitty

bicyclekitty New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mark Del Rosario @ May 1 2006, 03:46 PM) [snapback]248196[/snapback]</div>
    My baby's going in tomorrow to get leathered... From what I've seen so far, the quality of their work is fantastic. Most of their business is from local dealers. They said they probably do about 10 Priuses a week (dealer and private) - and they actually had a couple they were working on right there when I visited. Not sure about the No. Ca Coach, but this one uses (among few, I'm sure) Katzkin. You can configure/design your seats right on their site, Katzkin.com - pretty nifty. From what I can gather, same price regardless of pattern (single tone, two tone), perforated or not. There are 'exotic' fabrics available, too, but that may cost extra. I was originally gonna go w/ a two tone design - similar to Cairo's but w/ the light color for the center of the seat. But ultimately, I chickened out - decided on a conservative, hopefully refined, look - a single tone (lighter grey) w/ perforation down the center. The problem for me was waaaaaay too many choices - normally, I consider myself pretty decisive, but I had a heck of a time deciding this one! Oh yea, included in the price - they also cover the center console and arm rests on all four doors! Sweeet! Hope it turns out.

One last thing - they are very fast and accommodating. I finalized :p my color/design around noon, and they are installing tomorrow afternoon! They even offered to provide transportation and pick up service ... Now, they may not be able to turn it around this quickly all the time (options selected, schedule, etc.), but you get the idea.

Will update when I get it tomorrow!

Naomi

11. bicyclekitty

bicyclekitty New Member

Okay, here's my update on the aftermarket leather on my Prius..... I LOVE IT! The quality of leather, the color, the fit, installer, all of it. When I get a chance (and figure out how to), I'll take and post some pics.

I really, really wanted leather but I didn't want to pay the close to $4k+ extra on top of Pkg #3 for #8, just to get the leather. Yeah, I know #8 has lots of other things, but all those other items were just nice-to-haves I really didn't need (or was willing to pay for). So aftermarket leather option was my answer.

For me, I think this turned out better than OEM. For the stock grey interior (on Super White), OEM leather is dark grey, almost charcoal - that's too dark for my taste, particularly in a car ... it can get pretty hot in CA summer. I opted for a much lighter shade of grey, very close the color of the headliner (so as to not introduce any additional color to the interior), and the result is FABULOUS! I am very happy with it, can you tell? And the price? I was quoted $1200 + tax, but I actually ended up paying a little less, so a little negotion goes a long way. ;)

So I highly recommend this place:

Coach Auto Restyler
    1051 N. Parker Street
    Orange, CA 92867
    714-639-8236

Ask for Gerald Gomez. I warned him that I was going to post my delight here and that he may be getting more business from other Prius lovers in OC.

Naomi

12. Priuseely

Priuseely Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's great that you're so happy with your install, Naomi! I'm just about ready to buy my Prius (prob'ly travel up to the Bay Area to pick up a Pkg 6)--I'll definitely be paying Coach a visit!