1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leather in the 06's and region availability

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Paradox, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm not sure anyone may have a 100% proof positive answer to this but would anyone know if the leather is coming installed in the cars already from Japan or is it getting installed in port. The reason I am wondering this is because of Toyota's weird screwball reasoning in their availability of package #8 in different regions.

My dealership in Staten Island, NY says they cannot get me a package #8 black, grey leather nor can they order it. Toyota's build a prius page also says that #7 is the highest package available in my zip. I tried a zip for NJ and same thing. Then I tried a zip for Philadelphia PA and instead of saying 'greater NY area' it says 'Tri-State' and hey, package #8 is available.

I told my dealership hey, looks like PA is ok to get leather but the dealer says they do not trade that far away with other dealerships.

I know my dealership sucks but I'm kind of stuck I feel. It's too late now to go somewhere else as there are lists now, and heck, even calling other dealerships around here yields nothing. THey all know nothing about this car, they know even less about getting leather... They all, and my dealership, says Oh we can do leather for you but I guess it's me, I want the car to 'come' with the leather.

Ok, sorry, now to my main question. If the leather is being installed in port anyway I wouldnt mind so much I guess but if it is coming from Japan like that then I won't do it. I know, I know, what's the big deal but it's jsut a personal preference of mine.

Thanks for lasting thru this post with me and some hopeful answers. :)

2. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    MY 06 is available with leather from the factory. That requires that you get the top package. I can't say I recall hearing any bad stories about port installs of leather in the GST and SE regions, but I've heard some pretty bad stories about dealer installed leather by the dealer themselves or a crony contractor they use.

If you are willing to buy in Philly then do so. On the other hand, dealers can trade with dealers outside of their region, but it is up to the dealer to contact their regional management and get the ball rolling for you. Obviously they don't want to do it, or do not want to test the waters with their regional manager.

People have driven farther to get the Prius they wanted, or to work with a dealer that was accommodating to them. If you want factory leather you might have to do this. Kind of sucks, but at the same time you should be able to negotiate a deal over the phone, email or fax with a dealer outside your region with little difficulty.

3. Springtime

Springtime Member

You are in NY looking for package 8 and here I am in PA looking for pkg #4. If Toyota can ship pkg #8 to PA dealers and Pkg #4 to NY dealers why can't they offer a few of these pkg's to both areas for those who are willing to wait for the pkg they really want ?

Buying a car is a big investment - and when something is available, but, not available to me - it is very frustrating. I hope to sit down with my dealer next week to see if he is willing to try to swap with a NY dealer to get me a pkg #4.

I hope my dealer will be willing to try to arrange a swap.

Springtime

PS: I would even consider driving to NY to buy my car - but, I get real nervous about driving home on unfamiliar roads in an unfamiliar new car.

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hey, have your dealer contact my dealer and see if mine can order your car and yours can order my car and let them swap. Probably wishful thinking but I'll send you a PM