1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leave a bad review for salesperson?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by magicguy, Apr 6, 2006.

1. magicguy

magicguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Story below, my questions are:
    1. Should I leave a bad review on my salesperson?
    2. If I decide to leave a bad review, should I tell the salesperson, and if so, when?

I Have an 04 Prius that I had a lady commited to buy in Oct, so I put money down at my local dealer where I get service done. The salesguy seemed straightforward, and said my car would be about Feb timeframe, no guarantees though. The lady who agreed to buy my car backed out, so I wasn't pressuring the sales guy for the new car delivery since I needed to sell mine first.

Issue #1: I checked with the dealer about buying my car. They offered me $21,500 in Oct, something I would have considered accepting but it was literally the day before I left town for three weeks. In Jan, the offer was down to $20,500, and it was about that in Feb even though the blue book and NADA had gone up. The salesguy didn't seem to care about trying to buy my car or trying to get me any more money. I understand it's a business, but I would have thought he would have wanted to push his sales manager to buy my car since his sale to me is tied to me selling my car. This was the first that I'd had the impression my sales guy wasn't really 'working for me'

Issue #3, communication: In January I asked where I was on the list -- 34th. At the beginning of March, I asked where I was on the list to get an idea of how much time til I had to sell mine. The sales guy was busy but I said, get back with me within a week. No call back. I wasn't too concerned, I was out of town anyway and hadn't sold my car yet. At the end of March (the 31st) I called and was told the manager's door had a sign that said something to the effect of 'go away for now, end of month (but nicer)'. I now had a buyer for my car so I was a lot more interested in when to expect my new Prius. Since end of month is busy and the weekend is busy the sales guy told me he could get with me later, I accepted this. On Monday 3 April I had to call him -- no call yet. Tuesday, no call back so I called again. He said he would get back with me by the end of the day. No call Tuesday. So Wednesday morning I called and asked for the sales manager and explained I wanted to find out where I was on the list. He looked through the papers, I'm #10, within the current allocation. He looked at my paperwork, and my salesguy hadn't put down my new color choice (barcelona red vs. seaside pearl) but the manager hooked me up and said my name was now tied to a car allocated (barcelona red, pkg 6 since there are no pkg 5s in my region), should be in port 14 Apr, here in town by the end of the month. Sounds great. So I talk to my sales guy Wednesday night -- he doesn't know about the allocations or that I've been tied to a car. He says he'll check and won't commit to any dates on arrival, concerning me a little, but says if I'm on the allocation it should be within about 30 days. I ask him about all the fees to actually get the car -- he quotes me a $200 paperwork fee, and I remind him I'm paying cash, so no fee on that. He also is apparently not aware that hybrids in NM do not pay sales tax and quotes me 3%.

I ask him what to expect from here -- he says he'll call me when the allocation is confirmed, but I don't have much confidence he will. Then he says he will call when the car arrives at the dealer and that I can probably pick up the car the next day. I tell him I want the out the door price when the car is at the dealership so I can write the check (plus they can't try to add things then).

I'm thinking I should call this weekend and get the VIN on my allocation, and I should talk to the sales manager not my sales guy. Thoughts?

I feel like this is a real easy sale for the guy -- he has to just respond to my calls (not too many even) and I'm going to come in and he will make his money. No hassles, no time really. I knew what I wanted going in, so he didn't even have to sell me on the car or the options. But it feels like he doesn't really care too much about the sale or responding to me.

Am I missing something?

Should I leave a negative feedback to Toyota on him? (I probably will, I tend to be honest)

If he asks me to leave a positive 100% feedback as we are doing the paperwork, should I tell him what I think? Should I wait until after I have the car in hand?

I'm a little concerned because I plan to have my service done at this dealership. I wonder if they will treat me differently for a negative review.

Last small question, so the 8 yr, 100k hybrid component warranty is gone on the 06s I noticed?

Thanks for your time,
    John

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've certainly heard of worse treatment, but if you're not happy with the salesperson, tell them. If you're not happy with their response, tell their boss. But if this is the only place you can get your car serviced, don't burn the bridge just yet. You can catch more bees with honey than vinegar, as the saying goes.

3. unruhly

unruhly New Member

I have nothing to say but positive stuff about my salesperson. I worked with my dealer via e-mail and got all the answers that you asked within an hour of me asking them. IMHO you asked for nothing out of the ordinary and should have had better communication. I had my cash out the door price in hand from the printed e-mail when I arrived to the d'ship and was done with the whole transaction within an hour. Smooth as silk.

I would at least politely tell the salesperson that you would have liked him to respond quicker to your requests for info and tell him the sales manager is handling the remainder of your deal 'cause he did the allocation paperwork and knows what's going on. At this point there is little to nothing left to do except give you your out the door price and deliver the car. The salesman can't figure that for you anyway. It comes from the finance department. (I know you're paying cash, but it still gets transacted from there.) So it really doesn't matter who relays the info to you.

Good Luck!

4. magicguy

magicguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I called the manager today to find out if I could get the VIN since my salesguy didn't call me back today. The manager was very helpful, told me I was tagged to a car but that they wouldn't have the VIN until it dropped in freight and gave me a date. I mentioned that my sales guy answers the phone when I call, but hadn't been very responsive and he right away said, no problem, we'll get you another salesperson. We want you to be happy.

Shouldn't be any big deal from here -- just a call when the car is in, an inspection of the car, sign the paperwork and give them a check.

It feels a little weird to basically say I don't want to have that sales guy right before I get the car, but I guess it's on him. If he had done what he said and called me back when he said he would, none of this would even be an issue.

So I should be getting my 2006 Barcelona Red package 6 around the end of the month :)

John

5. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Your story sounds about typical. I would call or email every two weeks starting the time they said my car would be in. I never got any response back.

My saleman promised to give me two weeks notice before the car arrived so I could sell my 2004 Prius. I got a call on a Thursday afternoon saying the car was ready for me to pickup and they'd really like me to get it the next day and they have other folks that would like it. I felt fairly jerked around but liked the car enough that I traded in the old one with them for less than I would have gotten selling it but with no hassle.

I just got the form today asking me to evaluate the process. Since they are the only Toyota dealer in town I'm not sure i want to trash them.

Our local Toyota dealer has a certain arrogance particularly for Prius buyers. It is resulting in lost sales because two of my associates have now bought Toyotas from out of town dealers due to lack of customer service.

I wish you well for getting your car in.

6. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just so you all know: one failure on the Toyota evaluation form will mean that your salesperson is, by Toyota's standards, a 100% failure. For example, if a salesperson sells 2 to 3 Toyota cars per month and only one little question on one of lets say 24 evaluation forms for the year comes back negative they are considered a full failure and must be retrained. The failure can be as simple as failing to integrate your phone with bluetooth. Toyota does not consider that their bluetooth programming has a problem...they consider that salesperson to be a failure.

Magic Guy, if I had known you were looking to buy I would have encouraged you to call my salesperson in Silver City. Fantastic salesperson, MSRP, knows all about the no sales tax and about the tax credit. Lots of folks in NM and AZ come to Silver to purchase their Prii (about a 2 month wait after you order).

7. TidelandTravis

TidelandTravis New Member

I'll be the contrarian... go easy on the guy.

I'm in sales (not cars, real estate)... but given the Prius and the hoards of people trying to get them, they are driving sales people crazy and many are working with several sales people at several dealers. When the Los Angeles housing market was really on fire (last year) I had buyers whom I knew were working with other agents to get them a house, so I really didn't give them the attention and hard word I would give to a loyal client. These Toyota sales people are probably tired of buyers hasseling them all the time only to buy from another dealer who got the allocation. It's not an easy job and I'd assume the commission on a Prius isn't worth chasing after a car for just one person when they don't really know their story. If he was rude/nasty/inappropriate etc then I could see the case for a bad review...

Just my opinion.

8. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Tideland Travis and Gilahiker I tend to agree but if I would have treated customers in my old consulting practice or my home building business the way I was treated I would be bankrupt. Maybe if I was famous as the world's best consultant or homebuilder I could get away with it but...

I also agree that some customers are rude and pains but not responsing to once a week phone calls or emails that get send only after a delivery date has passed is just as rude and unprofessional. I'd fire any employee of mine that acted like that.

All that being said, I'm still debating how to respond to the evaluation. If I lived in a larger city that had several Toyota dealers I would be honest. Since I have only one place to go for service I may lie just to help ensure fewer hassles with service. The simplest solution may be to just not respond.

I do like the cars though.

9. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm sure this has been done to death. The way I understand it, (in the US) dealers don't "order" you a Prius. They can look at what's coming in or what other dealers have and work to match you up with the car of your dreams.

I've read about people getting VIN #s and knowing when their car leave the assembly plant and such. Why is it then, that everyone I've dealt with - buyer and seller - play the shell game of "Is this car gonna work for you or do you want to wait?"

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A few thoughts:

True, you represent an easy sale because you don't have to be convinced to buy the car, but the Prius is always an easy sale because every car is sold before it is loaded on the ship. That makes you a low-value customer compared to someone who's going to take excess stock off their hands. And you're not going to buy the worthless options, which are an important part of their profit, and you as good as told him that, when you asked for the out-the-door price.

Trade-in value: The blue-book price is an average. A dealer will go above or below it depending on whether he needs that car in his used-car inventory or not. The blue-book already takes into account the general popularity of the car, so a dealer who does not have a buyer on the hook might not want to pay blue book. A good analogy is CD interest rates at banks. A bank that needs money because it has lots of loans out or lots of demand for loans, will offer higher rates to bring in new money. A bank that does not need money today will offer low rates because they really don't want money today: it would sit unused. This is why a dealer's offer on your used car may go down even if the blue book goes up. It's not a question of being nice or not: it's a question of how badly they need your used car. I was offered $400 for my '89 Civic when blue book was $2,000. The Toyota dealer just didn't want a 15-year-old Civic. I sold it privately and easily got $2,000.

Sounds to me like the real issue with your sales guy is he does not return phone calls. If there's an evaluation, I'd just write "Salesman never returned my calls," and leave it at that. If you end up getting the car you want at MSRP, with no forced add-ons, and you don't have to pay an excessive documentastion fee, then I'd say you did all right, and the only downside was the exasperation of waiting for calls that never came. But since the guy answered your calls, his failure to return calls is less of an issue.

Just my thoughts.

11. magicguy

magicguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for all the feedback.

I think my plan from here is to call the sales manager if I need anything. If my salesperson calls back, I'll tell him the truth -- I had to call the sales manager since he wasn't calling me back, and the sales manager told me he'd get me a new salesperson -- I didn't push for it though. I'll also tell him besides the callbacks, everything else was to my satisfaction.

I don't think that because there's demand, the salespeople should be expected not to do what they say. I do think they shouldn't bend over with freebies and price, which my sales guy told me and I totally expect. Some of the posts seemed to imply that since they won't be getting as much profit from me, they wouldn't feel the need to call me back-- just bad business in my opinion.

So if I have no hassles with the car (no pressure to buy extras/warranties/financing after I tell them I don't want it), and if they don't jerk me around, for example, give my car to someone else, I'll leave a good feedback. I'll talk to the manager privately about not getting call backs when I was told I would, but that the rest of the transaction went well.

Maybe the manager is just blowing smoke, but I like the fact that he was ok with giving me dates to expect things (VIN and at port on 14 April). If I call him on 14 April and there's a real reason it's delayed, i don't mind. For me personally, I don't like it when a salesperson won't give me a straight answer so they can 'hedge their bets'. I guess the reason I don't like it is it means they aren't paying attention to me at all. After our conversations and meetings, my salesguy should know (because I told him first and because of my actions) that I'm no-nonsense, I'm knowledgeable, I'm responsible, and I want to buy the car from their dealership because I like their service department. I was straight up with him, telling him that I was selling my car, what was going on with my sale, what I wanted for my car, etc etc. I expect the same honesty in return. People that have treated me with respect have gotten lots of repeat business and good words from me. People that treat me like I'm one of the many other irresponsible people they deal with tick me off.

I'll post when I get my new car in -- should be the end of the April. Until then I have to drive my wife's 2002 Accord -- put the key in, the engine doesn't shut off, put gas in it... it's weird! :lol:

John

12. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I take a more hard-nosed approach to such problems. It's YOUR money which keeps THEIR doors open. If you get the feeling a salesman won't work for YOU then I'd let him know that one more 'error' on his side will force you to request another salesman with more appreciations/time. I wouldn't be mean but firm. I work hard for my money, treat my clients very well and expect the same. As for the evaluation I would be fair and honest (after giving him a warning) or you are not doing the next buyer any favors, nor your salesman who will think unresponsiveness is acceptable, then when someone like me comes along he will be confused as to why 'all the others' were ok with my practices, so 'what's your problem'. Anyone can get busy or make a mistake, so you politely call them on it, but if this is a habbit they should be called to task.

I originally dealt with a Toyota dealership which was extremely dishonest and took my business elsewhere. BUT MORE THAN THAT I sent MANY potential buyers to my 'second' salesman who was honest and efficient. That was the best way to show my displeasure with dealership #1. Their poor behavior cost them plenty in future sales. Money talks.

13. finally_got_one

finally_got_one New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Apr 7 2006, 09:27 AM) [snapback]236348[/snapback]</div>
    The first dealership I went to to look for a Prius tried to tell me that I shouldn't get a hybrid. Which was too bad, because they were the closest to my work. Perhaps it was because I actually walked onto the lot and they wanted to sell Camrys that day, I dont know. <_<
    Before I went to the second dealership I contacted their internet department and got a quote. MSRP, pkg #3. In the end, I worked totally through the internet department. One thing, though, was that the salesman didn't know too much about the car...I asked him how to turn the rear-window defogger (while I was taking delivery of the car) and he didnt know...he had to run inside (and yes, he did run!) to find out. But in the end it was a very good experience.
    Remember, you are paying these guys salaries. They owe you politeness at the very least. No politeness, or a try at a hard sell, and I go elsewhere. ;)

14. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

The way I look at it, to earn my respect a salesman just has to not promise more than they can deliver. When your salesman tells you they will contact you and then don't, that lack of followthrough shows that they don't deliver what they promise. I'd report that to Toyota.

When I got my Prius after lots of communication issues with the dealer, my salesguy said something to the effect of "I need you to give me high marks on the Toyota survey. You know you are really lucky you got this car at all, and especially that you got it at the price we agreed on." My response was simply "I hear you loud and clear!"

And then I proceeded to give the dealer negative marks on the survey in all the areas where they promised more than they delivered.

15. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My salesman knew almost nothing about the car beyond how to turn it on and off and the Park button. But he was friendly and got me exactlly the color and package I wanted a month sooner than the three months he had promised. With such an unusual car, it may be unreasonable to expect the salesman to know anything. His job is not to know about the car. His job is to get you the car you want, in a reasonable amount of time, for a good price, and to abide by all the terms you've previously agreed on. He has a right to offer you worthless high-profit add-ons, but must be willing to take No for an answer without getting pushy.