1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leave your lights on?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by coondognd, Mar 14, 2004.

1. coondognd

coondognd New Member

Hey everybody,
    I don't have my Prius yet, but I'm curious about the battery system. Can I leave the accessories (radio, lights, etc) on in a Prius longer than in a "normal" car? Will the car pull electricity from all the batteries, or just the "standard" one?
    I'm a fan of tailgating at football games, so basically I'd like to find out how long I can leave the radio on full blast before I can't start the car anymore.

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm afraid your tailgate parties will have to be short. The accessories run off of a relatively small battery. They are not connected to the big battery system.

3. coondognd

coondognd New Member

Dave,

Thanks for the info, and the quick reply. As a follow-up, do you know if the Prius will let the accessories drain to the point where the car won't start, or is it smart enough to cut them off? I also have a habit of leaving my lights on...

Thanks,
    Kevin

4. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, the battery will drain. But the headlights will turn off if you turn the car off and open the driver's door and close it.

5. Astroprius

Astroprius New Member

Kevin -

I actually "drained" the auxillary battery once already. I didn't fully read the manual and turned the car on in the "ig-on" to listen to the cd-player while I was out doing some yard work. After about an hour the music stopped and the dash display had the red triangle lit up. The car started o.k. and then I figured what I did wrong. I have since had the cd-player on with the car in "acc" mode with no problems.

So the answer to your question appears to be yes - the car is smart enough to keep enough reserve in the battery.

6. priusman88

priusman88 Junior Member

Well, I managed to leave my lights on while at work one day a couple of weeks ago. (Don't ask how. Please.) Ten hours. The car was dead, dead, dead when I was ready to leave, and I had to have it jumped.

I phoned the free Toyota service that comes with the car, and they were fairly helpful and prompt. Be aware, however, that the guy thought I'd have to get the car jumped directly to the small battery in the back of the car. I thought I recalled that the manual indicated that you could do this from under the hood, and I confirmed that while waiting for the tow truck to arrive. (Thank God!! With the battery dead, I couldn't unlock the hatchback to open it and wouldn't have been able to get to that battery anyway!!!)

It was difficult for the guy to attach the jumper cables to the appropriate spots on the engine -- the connections are kind of crowded in the locations the manual recommends, particular the positive connection -- but he managed. It may be worth finding some smaller clamps to use in the future. It started right up once he got everything connected, and I haven't had any problems since. But be aware that you CAN drain that battery enough to prevent you from starting the car.

Paul
    '04 Tideland Pearl
    Columbia, Missouri

7. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    wow! isnt that kinda unusual that it discharged after only 10 hours? i've left it on a couple of times when i got home and it worked fine the next day, that was about 16 hrs. but good to know that there really is a risk of discharging the battery.

8. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was listening to the CD player in mine while waxing it today - my solution was just to leave it fully powered-up. Since the engine shuts off when not needed, there wasn't really any difference, and no chance of running the battery down.

One other note that may be helpful - there's a manual release for the rear hatch, but it's under the removeable rear flooring section down where the spare tire is. It's a bit difficult to get to, but it may be a help incase you ever need to get the back hatch open without power.

Dave.