1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leaving Prius unused for months

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tranquila, Jun 12, 2005.

1. tranquila

tranquila New Member

We have a new 2005 Prius. We leave it in the garage for the six winter months, since we leave the country from mid October to mid-April. Our manual tells us that one should not leave the car undriven for longer than 2 weeks since both the auxiliary and the hybrid batteries will lose charge. It suggests that the car be started with all other appliances off and let to run for 30 minutes to charge the hybrid battery.

We asked our service man at Toyota how to handle this problem. He said that we could use a battery dribbler charger that would keep the auxiliary battery full.

But what about the hybrid battery? If after six months we return and the hybrid battery is low, will the car start on the gasoline engine? And will driving or running it for a time recharge the hybrid battery? Or do we risk serious deterioration of the hybrid battery not using it for six months?

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, as far as the suggestion of using the "dribble" charger - I guess you mean "trickle" charger - on the auxillary battery, I wouldn't.

A regular trickle charger will apply a continuous 1-2 amps to that tiny 12 v battery. It doesn't look any larger than what you'd find in a garden tractor or a motorcycle.

Try to find a fully automatic charger that will monitor the battery and keep a "float" charge on it. If the battery charge should happen to go low, then the automatic charger will switch on a "trickle" charge. It will stop and switch to "float" once the charge is repleneshed.

The better ones even claim to remove sulphation from the battery by using a high frequency pulse. The battery can't be hooked up to the vehicle to use this feature. Here are some sites that may help:

http://www.batterychargers.com/details.cfm...%2D12S&catid=18

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?SK...SKUupsell=77655

http://www.fhcotn.com/northern_tool/store/...tive/167951.asp

http://www.vdcelectronics.com/automotive.htm

As far as the 208 v NiMH battery pack, once you power down the car the relays are open so the only discharge is from internal chemical reaction.

I would hope the large battery pack doesn't lose much charge. The Prius doesn't have a conventional starter and alternator, the only way to turn over the motor to start the car is with the high voltage battery pack.

Even if the 12 v auxillary battery is fully charged, if the main battery is too low or dead, the car cannot start. Since the main battery is 208 vdc, it would also be impossible to boost.

That said, forum members have reported no problems or very few problems if the car is properly stored. If your local dealer doesn't have any answers, call the toll free number and see what Toyota has to say.

1 person likes this.
  3. tranquila

tranquila New Member

Jayman
    Thank you for your expert advice.
    I am sorry to appear so ignorant, which I am. I meant trickle charger. I have one that worked well on my 1999 Beetle when I had to leave it in the garage for 6 months. The Beetle is now gone but my problem remains.

My trickle charger/ maintainer is a Harley Davidson, bought at a motorcycle shop since I could not find it anywhere else. Although it does not specifically say so, I imagine it is a "floating" charger. Unfortunately I no longer have their instruction sheet . Its description does say it is a fully automatic two stage battery charger for a leadfree battery. After reaching peak 14.4 VDL the charger automatically switches to 13.2 VDC float voltage. When voltage drops below 12.6 VDC the charger resumes charging back to 14.4 VDC.

As for the main battery: What is the relationship between the auxiliary 12v. battery and the main battery. Ignorant as I am I interpret your message as saying that there is none. That the main battery is only charged by starting the car and either driving it or letting it run for 30 minutes or so (as per the manual). But I also understand from your message that it would not discharge enough in six months to make it impossible to start the car. Or am I wrong in this interpretation?

Thanks again

Walter

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hello Walter:

As far as the 12 v battery, it sounds like you already have the correct charger. That should be fine then.

The Prius 12 vdc system is used to "boot" the computers in the car, to operate the headlights and running lights, the heater A/C fan, engine cooling fans, brake boost pump, and radio.

The 208 vdc NiMH main battery pack is used to operate the traction motor, the variable speed A/C compressor, and is used during regenerative braking to "absorb" forward motion.

When the car is powered up and the Ready icon is on, the high voltage inverter/converter is responsible for keeping the proper charge on the 12 vdc battery. The Motor/Generator is used to either charge the main battery, act as a "snubber" during regerative braking, or to add more power during acceleration.

I suppose it helps to visualize how the Prius system works, but since you have no direct control over it anyway it's best to just not worry about it.

A few forum members have reported storage times as long as you have in mind, and it does appear with some basic precautions the car will sit that long without too much trouble. Eg: if your Prius has Smart Key Entry, poke the disable button under the steering column. That system can cause a lot of parasitic drain and the 12 vdc battery will usually go dead within a month.

If the local dealer isn't of any help, it doesn't hurt to call the toll-free Toyota number and get their take on it.

I would be leery of depending on somebody to stop by every 2 weeks to run the Prius for 30 mins. Not too many trustworthy folks out there.

There isn't any reason why Toyota couldn't develop an at-home charger for the high voltage battery pack. We're not talking about huge current here, just enough to keep a float charge.

Jay

1 person likes this.
  5. Blue-Adept

Blue-Adept Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Jack Stands so the tires do not develop a flat spot. Use a gas stabelizer and fill the tand all the way up.
    Disconnect the battery and put moth balls in the car to make sure mice do not make it a home.

Charge the battery when you get back and take a long drive.

This is how I used to store my vette.

Blue