1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leaving the car with the Smart Key

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by splashback, Apr 30, 2007.

1. splashback

splashback New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi-
    I am a new reader and proud new owner of a 2005 Prius. I also have a 2004 GTO so needless to say I enjoy driving the Prius with the rising gas prices.
    I have a question about the smart key.
    What happens if I do not shut down the car and walk away with the jey in my pocket? I did this last night while my wife was in the car and I ran into Starbucks. When I came back to the car is was powered on like I left it. Will it shut down after a certain period of time?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(splashback @ Apr 30 2007, 07:32 AM) [snapback]432468[/snapback]</div>
    Nope, it'll stay on indefinately.
    When you open the door there is a external beep, beep, beep....but it's not very loud. You might go listen to it a few times so you'll recognize it instantly next time you make this mistake.
    Next, it's always a good idea to lock the car...you'll get a continuous beeeeeep. if you try to lock it while still turned on and that'll tell you something's wrong.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 30 2007, 08:37 AM) [snapback]432472[/snapback]</div>
    Until the gas runs out. ;)

There have been a few postings here about people dropping off spouses and driving away without the smart key, only to find later that they can't restart the car to drive back. Oops!

Tom

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Apr 30 2007, 05:45 AM) [snapback]432475[/snapback]</div>
    By the same token, if you leave the car on and leave, even though you have the keyfob with you, a thief could get in and drive your car away. Once the car is shut off (assuming the thief even knows how!) he could not start it again. But at that point, finding the car could be a problem.

5. adegiulio

adegiulio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It seems like it would be such a simple and easy theft deterrent tool to shut everything down after 10 or 15 minutes of running without the key in the car. At the very least, the car shouldnt be able to switch into Drive without the smart key in the car...

A hacker should get on this...