1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED Display flickering and lighting all segments

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by G8PCW, Jun 27, 2014.

1. G8PCW

G8PCW Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I wondered if anyone can help me? I've tried googling the problem I'm having and searched on here but no luck:

I have a 2005 Gen2 Prius with 97,000 miles on the clock and it's never missed a beat. Yesterday morning, when I started it, the LED display that shows speed, gear selected, fuel remaining and odometer info started to flicker. Some of the segments were lighting up and going off on their own. By last night it had got progressively worse. Most of the segments were permanently lit or flickering on and off so it was impossible to read the speed I was travelling at which is pretty depressing.

I can't find others who have had similar problems so wondered if any of the members of this forum have seen anything similar or have any smart ideas? Otherwise, it's off to the dealer for a horribly expensive fix, I reckon!

Cheers

Pete

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There's a bunch of Prius instrument clusters available on eBay. Not sure what you're going to do about the non resettable odometer though.

SCH-I535

3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ever had the front windshield replaced? If they did a bad job water could have gotten in and did some damage? (My first car was an '85 300D my mother bought me when I first learned how to drive. First thing my dad did was replace the cracked windshield. Years later found water was leaking in and destroyed ECU and harness connector....)

Electrically it sounds like a bad ground or short. $15 for TIS subcription will give you access to wiring diagrams and component locations for you to have a look at what may be going on, (if you are so inclined to diagnosing yourself.)

First thing you could try is disconnect neg cable of battery. Then after reconnecting observe carefully the display. Let us know what you observe.

SCH-R530M ?

#3 jzchen, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How long have you owned the car and when was the 12v last replaced?

If the 12v is original then it's needing replacement. If nothing else, it needs replacement regardless of whether it fixes this issue you're having. To be honest, and having been on this form forever, I have never heard of a problem you're experiencing.

The Prius 12v is it's weak spot. When it starts to fail you don't notice like you would with a traditional car where it will turn over slower and slower when you try to start it over a number of days. With the Prius the 12v either has enough power to boot up the computers or it doesn't. If it doesn't it leads to all sorts of weird and wonderful error messages, warning lights, display issues. Have you noticed the central locking playing up the last few days too?

To test the 12v in a dead simple way without the need for any meters etc, try the following. First thing in the morning after the car has been sat the night before, get in, put the car in ACC mode (NOT into Ready as this will charge the 12v), and now wind down ALL four windows at once and then wind them all back up again together. If they slide down and up nicely then your 12v is ok. If they go slowly, judder, the interior lights go dull or out, then your 12v is shot. Replace it. Cost: about £95 fully fitted at Toyota.

If you did experience a dud 12v, then it MIGHT correct your display issues. Otherwise, have you ever got water in the car? Has it ever been flooded? Anything spilt on the dash?

Data Daedalus likes this.
  5. G8PCW

G8PCW Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi.

I replaced the battery 2 years ago so I reckon it's still ok - but thanks for the suggestion. I'll try the window test thing but I'm pretty confident it's ok.

I've owned the car for 3.5 years now and it's never done anything like this before. Nothing has been spilled anywhere so I reckon either the panel has died or there's a dodgy connection somewhere. In the absence of any info on-line, I've booked it into my local Toyota dealer on Monday for them to take a look. I'll update this post once I find out what was wrong incase it helps anyone else.

Cheers

Pete

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  6. Morey Pryer

Morey Pryer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Have you found a solution? My car it's doing the same thing