1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED DRL's and Foglights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by xenonrider, Sep 20, 2010.

1. xenonrider

xenonrider Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just finished wiring up a set of LED DRL's. Thanks to the great tips I found on this forum, it all went pretty smoothly. The power comes from the washer pump (blue wire) and is grounded to the chassis. Here are a few pix. Also, changed out the foglight bulbs to 18smd LED bulbs. Now they match nicely with the HID headlights :rockon:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. xenonrider

xenonrider Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks for the kudos!

I did not use those Hella-style DRL's. They are way too expensive and they are too wide to fit in the slits. Mine were samples sent to me from a LED shop. I'm sure they are not as bright as the $149 ones but they are still plenty bright. they only cost about $30 and are nice and thin so I was able to use some 3M double-sided tape to stick them right in the grill slits.

The installation was really easy... just 2 wires for each DRL, tapped into the water pump wire for +'ve and ground to chassis. Here is a picture of the lights:

[​IMG]

5. 818Prius10

818Prius10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Nice Bro! I was thinking about doing that.. I'm gonna install my HID Foglight kit next month.. I did LED day time running lights on my 2010 prius...

6. Kimoy

Kimoy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If it's. Connected to the water pump of the windshield washer, how so you turn it on?

7. xenonrider

xenonrider Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was thinking about doing HID fogs as well. however, the light will scatter everywhere and it'll blind everyone on the road so you shouldn't have them on when there's on-coming traffic.

i figured the LED's will be a better choice, for me, because i can leave them on whenever the headlights are on. non-functional in as far as lighting up the road, but it matches the headlights and DRL's nicely.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...-led-lights-where-should-i-connect-power.html

this thread was where i found the power wire connection: no switch needed:D it on when you turn the car on.

8. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Looks nice! :)

I hope the shop at least use high quality LEDs. Many e-Bay and overseas imitations use cheap LEDs that will fade (become dim) soon. I bought high quality LEDs and made my own. See here:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-modifications/82967-homemade-diy-led-drl-long-journey.html

9. xenonrider

xenonrider Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I read through your thread before I started the installation: the pictures were very helpful :thumb:

I had these LED's for over a year on a Volvo XC90 I used to have, so the quality should be pretty good. I believe they are SMD LED's, so they are pretty bright.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Any risk of those running afoul the laws against too many headlights? I know some jurisdictions limit headlights to two, unless the weather is bad, and then you can also use foglights for a total of four. I'm not sure how daytime running lights fit into that equation if they are left on.

On the other hand, no one seems to pay any attention to these sort of laws.

Tom

11. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Ideally one would use relays to turn the DRLs off when the headlights are turned on. I was too lazy to do that. I have passed by what seems like more than my fair share of police cars and radar-gun-holding officers during day time since I installed mine - no problem so far. We will see in the winter what happens when I turn on the headlights. :rolleyes:

12. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think the cops will probably only catch you if you have all 3 sets of lights on simultaneously, unless they have really good eyes and nothing else to do. You wouldn't have all 3 on either unless you carelessly forgot to turn one off. Because as cool as all those lights are, that's like sensory overload.

13. xenonrider

xenonrider Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    not sure why that would be a problem. my bmw 545i has 4 angel eye rings (OEM), orange 'eyebrows' at the top of the headlights (which a lot of people change to white) and your standard low-beam, high-beam & foglights. So, without the high-beam on that is 5 sets of lights on (2 sets of rings, 'eyebrows', low-beams and foglights); all of which are OEM.

The new IS250/350 and LS460 also now have LED strips at the bottom of the headlights in addition to all the other lights. Many of the newer Mercedes, Audi, Range Rover, BMW, Porsche also have a plethora of lights up front.

if the DRL's were blue, green, red or some other weird color, I can see a cop making a fuss. however, seeing that everything is just white and it's a total of less than 40W of lighting per side, i can't see that being a problem.

14. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can't possibly count your angel eye rings, orange eyebrows, low-beams, and high-beams as disrete bodies of light. They are all encased in ONE headlight, lol. So you still have only 2 sets of lights, not 5. Sorry. Still don't believe me?

EXHIBIT A!:
    http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/explore/overview/class-CL/model-CL600C
    You will never see a Mercedes (even the highest-end model) with 2 sets of lights below the headlights, for example fog lamps and LED DRL. It's one or the other.

EXHIBIT B!:
    Audi of America > Home
    Like Mercedes, the LED DRLs are encased in the headlamp fixture, so you still don't have 3 discrete bodies of light (the best way I could put it).

And finally, EXHIBIT C:
    Gallery - Panamera 4S - All Panamera Models - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG#
    Do you see fog lamps under those LEDs? No.

Why is all this important? The OP's LED DRL mod is probably technically illegal. If he mounted the DRL in the headlight a la Mercedes/Audi/Porsche, this would avert all controversy.

I still really like them though.

15. xenonrider

xenonrider Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i believe you and i understand completely:)

there is, however, a mercedes with 2 sets of lights below the headlights. 2010 E350

[​IMG]

Additionally, in that image there are 3 discrete bodies of light that are lit: low-beam, foglight and a small 5W 'city light' in the high-beam housing.

There are other cars that also have 3 discrete bodies of light on when you drive (if you have the foglights on). Another I can think of off the top of my head is the Lexus GS350/460:

[​IMG]

or the porsche turbo (the last light on the LED bar is used as a DRL), so there are 3 discrete bodies of light. EXHIBIT E:

[​IMG]

Volvo XC60
    [​IMG]

having said that, you are probably right in that my DRL's (or any additional lights added on a car) are considered illegal. as with many mods, if it didn't come from the factory that way, it is probably not legal.

glad you like them though... cheers:rockon:

16. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That mercedes benz picture is the most intriguing and contradictory to my prior statements...

I say you have nothing to worry about. I would be incredibly surprised if you ever got in trouble for your mod.

17. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice JOB!!!

This was the route I was intending to go, before I went the LED Switchback route!

To that end I will offer my unused kit of lamps for $100. Here's your chance to get a set.
    Here is a pic, there are 2 (TWO) lamps, I just took one out of the box for the pic.. also included is the wiring harness and relay.

[​IMG]

High Power LED Daytime Running Lights | LED Daytime Driving Lights DRL

PM me if interested..

18. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    KK6PD, is this product easy, medium, or difficult to install? How about the reverse install (for warranty claims)? Is it safe? My biggest fear is electrical fires. Thanks.

19. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For me, it's an easy job. I am technical minded anyway. For medium mechnical types, it still would be OK. You have to cut the lower grill, figure out a mounting bracket, this would be after all a custom install job, and plug into AUX +12 volts. I can point out where in the fuse box you can attach to.

Once installed, I would leave it. As far as a fire, that's why there are fuses in the install kit. I all my life I really have never seen a properly installed aftermarket light just burst into flame and destroy a car!!!

The only reason I am selling it, I went a different type of DRL. This is surplus to me, and would like to see somebody get some use out of it, and put payback in my pocket!!

20. weidake

weidake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I got the same exact set. Can you point out a good Aux 12v power source for the light? Thanks!