1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED Headlights

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by sophie999, Jan 21, 2013.

1. sophie999

sophie999 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all,

I have 2011 Prius 2. Was reading all the threads and discussions about upgrading headlights. I have stock halogens, 2 years old.

Thinking of possibly upgrading, but not a huge deal for me. What I am trying to find out if I can replace the bulb only (both high/low neams), leaving existing housing, to get slightly nore light. Not interested in super white or blue color, just a bit brighter.

Not really up to HID upgrade, and do not want to risk burning/melting the housing.

Are there any LED options available that would fit into the existing headlight (sort of like at home I can replace incandescent bulb with LED with the same base and no need to rewire).

Are there any better halogen options? (especially without sacrifising lifespan - don't want to replace them too often).

Does the brighter bulb have to operate at a higher temperature, or not necessarily?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Sophie

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    No led options for bulbs for headlights.

Hid is the best and cheapest way to go.

Better halogens like Sylvania silver star ultra will be brighter but will burn out faster then oem, requiring more often replacement.

sophie999 likes this.
  3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you don't want the super white or bluish HID, get HID in 4300 k color temp.

I have Sylvania Silverstar halogen bulbs in my low beams and they are pretty good. Headlights get dim over time, so just replacing them will get you a brighter beam. That's why it is advised you change both headlights when one burns out.

sophie999 likes this.
  4. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can search ebay for PIAA brand(US design made in Japan) higher intensity halogen bulb. Choose the 4000-5000 K class. You will be happy to have that. PIAA is much better than Phillips,Osram,GE... and last long. My camry uses a pair for more than four years befoe it burn. Near normal halogen blb life but whiter. You can see the roads infront more clear and drive with confidence. If I need a pair of good halogen, I must choose PIAA. I don't need it now as my 2005 got HID.

sophie999 likes this.