1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED interior light module shop (CLOSED again)

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by darelldd, Jun 14, 2006.

1. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ** Please note - I'm closed again. I am no longer taking new orders as of July 10, 2007 **

The LED modules that I've been making for a while are now officially for sale for the Prius (2004-2006 unless somebody tells me what fixtures the first gen Prius has!). Please note that I will be unavailable during some specific times this summer (all listed on my sales page linked below)

All the information you need for purchase/installation should be found HERE
    Questions can be posted here (likely best so others will see the answer and I don't have to keep answering the same Q's! OR I can be emailed (link in my sig and on sales page). If you email me, be SURE to check your spam folder for a reply. It seems that half the time I reply, my email is lost in the cracks. PLEASE avoid using PM. I really don't like it, as I have no control over it, and must be logged into PC to read it.

Previous thread on this topic: here.
    An LED thread that I sort of turned into a "Darell thread" about anything LED here.

2. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Tint difference in LED and factory incandescent:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. boshman

boshman Master Tech

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Went to your home page... WOW! You are great! I am so not worthy. Thank you for your step by step photo work, it is appreciated by all. I loved the tree story, hope you got the back yard tree straight.

Thank you and carry on,
    Frank

4. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boshman @ Jun 18 2006, 10:32 AM) [snapback]273098[/snapback]</div>
    Shucks. You're too kind. :)

5. londo-cat

londo-cat New Member

Yikes! I was looking for LED lights... and I ran into this thread. Yeow!

I want someone who can point me in the direction of LED replacement lights for the fog lights on my Prius. I wish I had to time to develop replacement lights myself... but sadly my time has been spoken for.

Now - I am just a consumer on the road of life (sigh)...

Someone point me in the right direction please...

6. benighted

benighted New Member

londo-cat:
    Unless you are just looking for some highlighting effects I don't think such a thing exists. Anything LED will either be far too dim or far too expensive (think quad K2 emitters?) to be actually useable as foglights (not that the stock fogs were much use in the first place but thats beside the point).

7. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(benighted @ Jun 20 2006, 12:23 AM) [snapback]273964[/snapback]</div>
    Yup. We could make marker lights out of them (like they are from the factory). Be we aren't going to make them useful without WAY more money than a normal person would ever consider spending.

8. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, folks. My extended summer vacation has finally drawn to a close. I came back to several orders, and have done my best to fill them in a timely manner. At this point I'm not aware of any outstanding orders. If I'm wrong, please let me know!

9. benighted

benighted New Member

Welcome back Darell. I hope you had fun on your vacation.

We need to figure out how to get LED's in the tail lights, they just use those dim 5 watt wedge bulbs so a red or red/orange Luxeon should be plenty bright. I've been testing some of those 5mm LED array wedge bulb replacements and they are almost bright enough.

I'm thinking something like a modified 3W maglite upgrade would fit there.

10. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(benighted @ Aug 27 2006, 11:39 AM) [snapback]310206[/snapback]</div>
    The biggest problem with those tail lights is the tiny little hole we have to work with. Tough to get enough heat sink in there - at least if we want to use the same socket. Those things are TINY! I still can't believe the thing uses only 5W bulbs for the tails. At dusk the car is almost invisible from the rear.

11. benighted

benighted New Member

I noticed that too. Thats why I mentioned the maglite upgrade bulb. One of those would probably fit if adapted to a wedge connector and change out the emitter for a red one and those have a heat regulator that dims if things get too hot (probably not much dimmer than the stock bulb though).
    Has anyone tried the 6 cell upgrade bulb on 12 volts yet? The puck circuit might cut it down to the correct voltage if thats within range.

12. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I certainly appreciate the interest. And I'm trying to keep this thread just for the sales of the interior modules that I can actually provide at this time. We should start a new thread to discuss any possible future product.

13. benighted

benighted New Member

OOps, sorry. I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I know its one of my bad habits

14. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, folks. There are quite a few of you out there now with my interior LED dome modules intalled (and even a few brave souls with the license plate lights!) I appreciate your business, and hope you enjoy the modules. For the most part, I had fun making them, and made some new friends along the way.

If it wasn't obvious, however... these things are quite labor intensive. And after making so many, the fun has been sucked out of the project for me. At least temporarily. My joy comes in figuring stuff out, and building unique prototypes. Mass production of any one item has never been my cup of tea - so this doesn't surprise me much. Since this is my hobby, there's no reason for me to continue with a project that I am no longer enthusiastic about.

I filled the last orders for which I had parts this past week, and that's it for now. I may, at some future time, build some more of these. If I do, I'll post to this thread. In the meantime, if you really want some of these, please post your interest here, so I can keep track. If there is enough valid interest, I can forsee having another go at it at some point in the future. But stocking all the parts for building these a few at a time just isn't making the grade.

Thanks to my customers for helping me continue with my hobby, and thanks for the support from everybody!

15. rob_md

rob_md New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jan 27 2007, 01:28 AM) [snapback]381567[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I waited two weeks too late. I saw the post on your site and thought it meant that you were already done. Ah well -- register my interest in at least the license plate lights. (They're street legal and all, right -- just a pain to install?)

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    gl on your other projects darell!

17. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rob_md @ Jan 26 2007, 10:53 PM) [snapback]381576[/snapback]</div>
    Oooh. Yeah, sorry about that. Was just meant to be a warning there for a couple of weeks. The license plate lights could very well NOT be legal. I haven't a clue. It isn't like they're a safety issue, however, at least!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jan 26 2007, 10:56 PM) [snapback]381577[/snapback]</div>
    Darn, I think "gl" means good luck, huh? When I first read it, I hoped it meant "girls love."

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    haha, yeah it means good luck.

Shouldn't be a problem with the licence plate lights. I mean, all Lexus models have LED licence plate lights. Heck, I saw an Echo Hatchback with one and it looked pretty upscale.

19. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Testing, testing. I'm told this thread is close... NOPE! The thread is open, the SHOP is closed>

20. rpistolese

rpistolese New Member

Hi Darell,

Should the shop open again, I would like the "full package" for a Prius, i.e., cargo lamp, front and rear dome lamps, door edge, vanity and license plate [I think that covers them all... let me know if I missed any].

Yes, I am willing to wait.

Please let me know your availability and the "package price". Thanks.

Rich
    [email protected]