1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED JDM headlights just arrived, now how to connect?

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by Native2PS, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Native2PS

Native2PS Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I just got the JDM LED headlights, and now the tricky part will be to connect them, as you can see, there are two connections on the back of the housing that is different from the USA halogen headlights. Any ideas are welcome! I circled the two connectors that I can see that are different and will need a connection. I may have to order a wiring harness from Japan or something

Attached Files:

2. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The lower pigtail might be a running light embedded within the high beam.

The LED low-beams are the gray square with the triangle connector, though I can't think why they'd have 3 conductors. Time to get the multimeter out, put it on diode mode, and start probing.

3. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The plug that has the 3 connectors is for the leveling motor.....u will not be able to use it as the halogen Prius dosent have the wiring or sensors to use them. The other plug with the 2 connectors is for the LED low beam then there is the high beam bulb. The black plug is for the parking light. You might be able to get the connectors from the dealer but they won't be cheap.

4. Native2PS

Native2PS Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    you could be right, but both plugs have 3 connectors! I may have to look at a regular Prius with LED headlights to see how its wired, I wonder what the 3rd connector could be for

5. Native2PS

Native2PS Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    update: the triangular connector is for the leveling motor, good thing is that it also has a manual adjuster

6. Native2PS

Native2PS Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    UPDATE: ok, so I called a place called JDM toy and a tech from there told me that the third prong is likely just a high beam connection and that I just have to find the positive and negative two and connect them to the low beam connector, so I played around with them and found the right connection, and when comparing it to the other halogen light, wow! what a difference, LED seems so much better than even HID, so now I need to remove my bumper, install the JDM lights, and secure the connections with some good connectors and I'll be done, I might not get to it until Thursday, I will keep everyone updated and post pics of all of my mods when its all done. My shark fin arrived today also, which will just about complete my mods

7. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do the LED headlights have a cutoff similar to the halogen where one side is lower than the other?

8. ianblake

ianblake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    pics pics pics :p

9. Native2PS

Native2PS Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    OK, all installed, it took a while as I was very careful in removing the bumper, but all went well. I will post another thread with my mods, I still have to align the lights, yeah, one side is lower than the other but I think its the opposite because of the right hand drive in Japan, they look great!

Attached Files:

genetiix likes this.
  10. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Looks good but if they have the RHD cutoff that means ur going to be blinding on coming traffic.....arnt u at all concerned about that?

11. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Cooooool. :D Your c looks great; love the blacked out theme.

I'd love to see pictures of the LED beam pattern if you get a chance.

12. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So long as he NEVER drives it on a public highway in the USA with those lights installed, he is legal in his driveway.

13. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I forgot to ask; how did you end up wiring up the headlights, in terms of connectors?

14. dellrio

dellrio Im pretty much awesome

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    99% of cops out there would not know the difference anyway - I don't think he ill run into any legal issues. As far as blinding oncoming drivers due the the RHD configuration - I don't think this would be any worse than a poorly aimed HID conversion - and those are everywhere. If you feel like the oncoming traffic lights are too bright you just need to look to the outside line on the road/highway - focus on that line till they pass - this is basic drivers ed stuff about night driving ( I only know this because I reviewed this information for my CDL within the last year).

Being a modder for my entire life and having been a member of many different auto forums, I have to say that the people on here seem to be the most concerned about legal issues of any forum I have ever been on. The likelihood of getting pulled over for most of these mods is slim so long as you obey basic traffic laws. The liklihood of getting a ticket for these mods is even slimmer as a police officer would have to have vast automotive knowledge to differentiate many of these items from the OEM offerings. Tint is illegal in my state, but my windows have been tinted for my entire driving life and I only have had several tickets over the years.

For the OP - The headlights look sweet - keep up the good work

15. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Darn that safety stuff. It's just so...bothersome and constricting.

2Fats likes this.
  16. ianblake

ianblake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    me to0 more pics

17. eco31

eco31 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Headlight looks awesome!

18. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm not talking bout tickets & cops.......I talking about flat out respect for ur fellow motorist. Yes there are a lot of illegal HID kits on the road but just because they don't have any respect for others doesn't mean we should follow suit. If they jump off a bridge are u going to follow them? If everybody showed the same respect as they expect to get then half the crap in the world wouldn't exist.

I've never seen the inside if he LED height but the cutoff shield might be able to be swapped. If it can't them get ursrlf some US LED headlights & swap the internals. Yes its going to cost extra but it will be done right.

If we're going to do mods to our cars they should be done right or don't do them at all.

I too perfer the JDM headlights but I'm also changing the projector so that it has the correct cutoff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2Fats likes this.
  19. Native2PS

Native2PS Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks all, and I will post more pics once I align the lights, and as for the legality and the RHD issue, I have had clear corner reflectors and/or no reflector for the past 15+ years driving an average of 30k miles per year, and have NEVER been pulled over or ticketed, or even asked about this by any law enforcement officer, and once I align the lights, I'm sure that I wont be blinding anyone, so more pics to come!

20. Native2PS

Native2PS Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I had some Radio Shack connectors that I modified with some pliers so that they fit the prongs of the JDM lights, and rigged it that way