1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED kits and headlights

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by BillS22, Aug 16, 2015.

1. BillS22

BillS22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Will a LED kit do anything for fuel economy?
    How about simply changing the headlights?

I stumbled on a new headlight replacement. search OPT-7 Headlights.

Interesting: plug and play. But they have a cooling fan, and only a 2 year warranty.
    I doubt simply changing the headlights will much for fuel economy, and the company doesn't claim that. They instead promote better visibility.

Thanks,
    Bill

2. Starbrand

Starbrand Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    you are correct. Changing to LEDs or a HiD kit will only increase visibility. Nothing connected to fuel efficiency :)

3. pauerbach

pauerbach Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm very wary about fussing with headlights. The glass lenses are designed such that the light source has to be positioned juuuuust right to reflect the light properly on the road ahead. Aftermarket bulbs aren't designed with much care in this regard because it varies from vehicle to vehicle. You're unlikely to have satisfactory results.

I tried replacing the high beam bulbs with aftermarket LEDs and they were bright, but not bright in the right direction so they were utterly useless. The light simply scattered everywhere.